Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
I think there are misconceptions about why this is necessary and what the expected outcome by someone who wants to plan for this are. I titled the thread "EMP" but I also included other electrical hazards that are natural and proven threats from history. I'm no expert on either subject, maybe it's nothing to worry about. Can a high altitude electromagnetic pulse or another Carrington Event be a threat to our technology dependent lives? I don't know. I guess this raises the question of what exactly is worth planning for, what the expectations are on a large scale, what would be valuable to save from that level of threat and how to use it to your advantage to mitigate the consequences of the event.

So, what's really important to save? iPads? I don't think anyone thinks that's a necessary item to protect. Radios? Most definitely. Being able to rebuild a communication network between neighborhoods and communities to help protect life and property is probably the most essential after a total collapse of technology. Being able to maintain this equipment would be next on the list such as power and repair parts. Transportation? "Dumb" vehicles will become a valuable asset because of their simplicity in design not relying on a computer to operate in order to transport people and supplies to and from these neighborhoods and communities. Are there other components that could be stocked up on for vehicles that aren't so "dumb"?

Maybe there is no threat worth worrying about, I'll leave that to the experts. I don't really know. It's a fun thought experiment at the least and a good thing to prepare for anyway but some people may say it's more than that. Having supplies and redundancies in your tech preps along with your other preps isn't really a bad thing is it? So the point of this thread really boils down to what should be the bare minimum that an individual should prepare with in order to be an effective tool for themselves and their community?
If I understand correctly, and Emp messes with circuitry in electronics and the grid a bit. A CME like cardington messes with power lines and transformers taking down the grid over a larger area. This gives info on both. http://www.thepreparednesspodcast.co...n-emp-and-cme/