Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: EMP Proof Stashes

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Right, if the ChiComs start bursting high altitude nukes,I don't think I am going to need an iPad anyway.
    As for gold? Who will want it? Cant eat it.
    It seems the most valuable thing at this moment is Clorox and Charmin.
    Pretty accurate. Essential communication is more important than anything else. I'm assembling a setup: So far I have a scanner, 2 Baofengs with chargers, 4 FRS "bubble pack" radios, and several cheap shortwave radios with a modest lot of batteries to put in a sealed and lined ammo can in my basement. Understanding the "why" in a disaster event can be pretty important in planning - like the potential for another EMP or secondary issue.

(Montgomery County)

So to those stashing com devices in ammo cans, what about power sources?
    Do you have a couple extra batteries in a charger and rotate them? I think a charged battery has a finite time it can sit unused before it drains.

(Chester County)

So to those stashing com devices in ammo cans, what about power sources?
    Do you have a couple extra batteries in a charger and rotate them? I think a charged battery has a finite time it can sit unused before it drains.
    One of thes pedal power generators would help:

b6ee5cd97a38132df3e5e561f3519d64--small-laptops-power-generator.jpg
    - bamboomaster

A metal trash can is as simple and effective as it gets. Then if you want put it in a below grade area. Such as your bunker.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Where did you get that? Do you have to store that inside the can?

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    A metal trash can is as simple and effective as it gets. Then if you want put it in a below grade area. Such as your bunker.
    Only if you seal the lid on with foil tape. See the video in Post #20 above.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Something like this would work well:

Just make sure the lid has an electrical connection to the bottom and that the entire thing is grounded.
    Only if you build an insulated box inside that box.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Right, if the ChiComs start bursting high altitude nukes,I don't think I am going to need an iPad anyway.
    As for gold? Who will want it? Cant eat it.
    It seems the most valuable thing at this moment is Clorox and Charmin.
    Historically people want gold. Dismissing it out of hand might soothe the mind because of its value in relation to fiat paper but I assure you it will come in more handy than that paper or some computerized data indicating your life time achievement.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Historically people want gold. Dismissing it out of hand might soothe the mind because of its value in relation to fiat paper but I assure you it will come in more handy than that paper or some computerized data indicating your life time achievement.
    I don't know you could wipe your ass with both.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post

b6ee5cd97a38132df3e5e561f3519d64--small-laptops-power-generator.jpg
    If I wanted to generate power and keep it in an EMP kit I would go the route of a portable solar kit.

I'm still working out the specifics but probably a 100w folding panel. Something that will still produce reasonable electricity even when cloudy.

The 21 watt and 10 watt folding panels I purchased produced well on a USB tester in direct sunlight but became paperweights when cloudy.

Photo is of both panels while testing.

https://m.imgur.com/a/w6q8Ddq

(Clinton County)

I think there are misconceptions about why this is necessary and what the expected outcome by someone who wants to plan for this are. I titled the thread "EMP" but I also included other electrical hazards that are natural and proven threats from history. I'm no expert on either subject, maybe it's nothing to worry about. Can a high altitude electromagnetic pulse or another Carrington Event be a threat to our technology dependent lives? I don't know. I guess this raises the question of what exactly is worth planning for, what the expectations are on a large scale, what would be valuable to save from that level of threat and how to use it to your advantage to mitigate the consequences of the event.

So, what's really important to save? iPads? I don't think anyone thinks that's a necessary item to protect. Radios? Most definitely. Being able to rebuild a communication network between neighborhoods and communities to help protect life and property is probably the most essential after a total collapse of technology. Being able to maintain this equipment would be next on the list such as power and repair parts. Transportation? "Dumb" vehicles will become a valuable asset because of their simplicity in design not relying on a computer to operate in order to transport people and supplies to and from these neighborhoods and communities. Are there other components that could be stocked up on for vehicles that aren't so "dumb"?

Maybe there is no threat worth worrying about, I'll leave that to the experts. I don't really know. It's a fun thought experiment at the least and a good thing to prepare for anyway but some people may say it's more than that. Having supplies and redundancies in your tech preps along with your other preps isn't really a bad thing is it? So the point of this thread really boils down to what should be the bare minimum that an individual should prepare with in order to be an effective tool for themselves and their community?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast