Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: EMP Proof Stashes

We use some FAT50 ammo cans for battery storage (camera batteries, flashlight batteries, headlamp batteries, radio batteries, communication batteries, rifle scope batteries, powder scale batteries, etc.) basically every battery reasonably imaginable. Not less than 2 dozen of each size. Also use the much larger and heavier ammo cans for storing wind-up radios, electric components, communication devices, battery powered gizzmos (cattle prod type), lasers, etc. I should probably put the electronic powder scales in there too.

All batteries in storage are replaced with new ones every five years. The latest replacement cycle was two years ago...

Not that we'll need them if there's an EMP, but we do "can" our phones each night in (you guessed it) a bedroom ammo can. Also put an industrial grade baking pan over the laptops after covering the laptops with a heavy sheet of aluminum foil at night - that may be a nothinburger but we're trying.

Haven't used tin foil for a hat yet though...

Yeah, I know all this sounds pretty screwy - until its not.

Hope we never need these supplies but life does get crazy at times in unimaginable ways...
    - bamboomaster

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Hey, any amount of preparedness that you can live with is great.

The last thing I will be worried about after an EMP is any electronics. There will be no internet to connect to. There will be no way to print the documents you store on your PC. There will be no way to charge your anything. There will be no other electronics to communicate to.

I think it much easier and more prudent to keep your important documents in paper form, locked up in a container with a mechanical lock. A paper passport and ID might be useful. Antibiotics, silver, gold, firearms, food and basic tools are going to be the new currencies. Convert everything to old engines with points ignitions. Learn everything you can about skills from 1899, cause you are going to be back there. Blacksmithing, raising crops and livestock, making clothes, moonshine, cheese, log cabins, gunpowder, etc. I would fill the job box with books, quality hand tools and seeds long before I worried about a laptop.

If you are concerned, read the book One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Its a novel, but a true representation of what would happen after a nationwide EMP event. Only a very determined and very lucky 20% will survive the first year.

And remember, the solar storm of 1859 set telegraph wires on fire, so your box should probably be fire proof so you can pick it from the wreckage of your home.
    Last edited by jesemd; April 12th, 2020 at 01:05 PM.

(Northampton County)

how about this? couple layers of cardboard wrapped around the inside, and bottom of the can, or a box that will fit in the can, bigger cans available also.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=-10005
    75/15/10

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland45 View Post
    how about this? couple layers of cardboard wrapped around the inside, and bottom of the can, or a box that will fit in the can, bigger cans available also.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=-10005
    Good suggestion - we use one of those too...but it's about 30 years older.
    - bamboomaster

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Something like this would work well:

Just make sure the lid has an electrical connection to the bottom and that the entire thing is grounded.
    Thats my overflow ammo storage box. Shit, now I need another to stash electronics in?!
    Nah, this forum is about the extent of my electronic knowhow. Maybe another for more ammo

(Clinton County)

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

When deciding how and what to prep for, "EMP" type of concerns didn't make the list. YMMV
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    When deciding how and what to prep for, "EMP" type of concerns didn't make the list. YMMV
    Right, if the ChiComs start bursting high altitude nukes,I don't think I am going to need an iPad anyway.
    As for gold? Who will want it? Cant eat it.
    It seems the most valuable thing at this moment is Clorox and Charmin.

(Allegheny County)

I keep my spare Baofengs wrapped in aluminum foil, then wrapped in a towel, and the whole setup stuff into ammo cans. That's about the best I can do at the moment. That big tool box would probably work well. Unless there was a massive EMP burst, like a massive solar flare or one of the supposed super EMP weapons, a big metal can is probably all you'd need. From what I've read even high altitude nukes won't be enough to fry everything.

(Lebanon County)

A farraday cage isn't a complicated item. There really isn't any need to reinvent the wheel. It doesn't have to be expensive nor does it have to be complicated.

I've seen this discussed at length on survivalistboards.com a number of times. Essentially a steel trash can lined with cardboard, sealed with flashing tape and grounded can be pretty effective. Same principal with an ammo can.

https://amrron.com/2015/03/24/emp-tr...esting-in-lab/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast