Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Lights on your carry gun

No light on EDC. However, carry a small streamlight tactical flashlight in my pocket next to my pocketknife. At home/bedside, have a 3 D cell Mag Light next to my EDC.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Lehigh County)

XDM .45ACP with Streamlight TLR-3 in raven concealment phantom LC holster. My EDC for atleast 5+ years.

KT Mech is great for light bearing holsters, IMO

(Chester County)

I have an olight pl mini Valkyrie; small lightweight and rechargeable. But I keep it on my AR because I’m not into buying another holster right now.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    No light on EDC. However, carry a small streamlight tactical flashlight in my pocket next to my pocketknife. At home/bedside, have a 3 D cell Mag Light next to my EDC.
    This is what you are supposed to do. Have a bright tactile flashlight NEXT to your firearm. Think about it, if your flashlight is attached to a firearm every time you use it you are pointing a loaded gun at something. What happens when you hear a bump in the night, go check it out, and find out it is one of your kids that came home. Yep you just swept them with a loaded gun.

A number of professionals also recommend when you carry a flashlight hold it out to the side of you so it is not in line with your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    This is what you are supposed to do. Have a bright tactile flashlight NEXT to your firearm. Think about it, if your flashlight is attached to a firearm every time you use it you are pointing a loaded gun at something. What happens when you hear a bump in the night, go check it out, and find out it is one of your kids that came home. Yep you just swept them with a loaded gun.

A number of professionals also recommend when you carry a flashlight hold it out to the side of you so it is not in line with your body.
    Both ways have their pros and their cons. Using a light and night shooting require some forethought and training. Firing a pistol accurately one handed while the other is holding a light with your thumb on the on off switch under stress is not an easy task. Holding the light up and away is valid in some circumstances but doesn’t translate well into tight spaces like hallways.

Keeping ones finger completely off the trigger until the target is identified is key in all situations and should be well disciplined by all shooters regardless if your a casual or avid shooter.

Knowing the difference between your kid taking a leak and a real break in is pretty important as well. In the digital age alarm systems and cameras that alert your phone smart device when they kick off is the 1st line of defense. As always having lights on outside is always a huge deterrent.

Just my .02
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 11th, 2020 at 03:03 PM.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

You should have a light on your EDC pistol, as well as carrying a small flashlight with you. The Streamlight TLR-7 adds very little weight or bulk to a pistol, and numerous other posts here have mentioned the O-Light mini Valkyrie.

Give some thought to the things you may do or would be doing when you’re using your weapon and a hand held flashlight. Opening doors, checking door handles, entering a vehicle, retrieving a second magazine, retrieving a cell phone, retrieving a tourniquet, and the list goes on. To accomplish any of those things, you need your support hand, if your light is in your support hand, you know have to stow your light, do the thing you want and then retrieve it again. Give it a try sometime. Do some shooting in the dark and add a reload, or add retrieving your phone to call 911.

(Berks County)

TLR-3 on my EDC Beretta PX4 Storm Compact , Bravo concealment OWB kydex holster. I also have a TLR-3 on my S&W M/P it’s primarily a HDG but I often Open carry it when I’m fishing in an Aries Tactical OWB .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

I don't have a weapon light on my EDC or bedside gun. I use a separate hand held for the bed side. My house is almost completely lit in dim light anyway. I have been considering EDC a small flash light, but have not really been in a situation where I needed one beyond my cell phone light to really push me over the edge to EDC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123