Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Washington County)

Default Important 3D printed parts for 3M respirators

If you have a 3M full face or half face respirator there are some useful parts out there.

Note that the MSA and 3M bayonet filter mounts are not comparable as far as I can tell.

Here is a plug you can use to run your mask with one filter.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4264069

This allows you to more easily shoulder a rifle or possibly conserve filters or still function with just one filter if that is all you have for some reason.

I had someone print this part for me, I installed a 112 viton o-ring, and it is good to go. I plan to coat all exposed surfaces in an epoxy resin to seal the part completely (ideally a food grade resin) because I did not have access to food grade filament. Also I do not trust that a 3D printed part is inherently air tight. It also isn’t easy to disinfect due to the porosity.

Next up is a 3M bayonet to 40mm NATO adapter that allows you to use an NBC filter on a 3M respirator.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4216471

I will also be treating this part with a resin outer coating.

If you know someone with a 3D printer this is an economical route to upgrade a 3M respirator you have for more than just home improvement use, as opposed to buying a quality NBC mask. I have not found anything yet to suggest the 3M respirator itself is not suitable for NBC use but I am still researching. Given current price gouging and shortages it may be an only option.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; April 8th, 2020 at 10:40 AM.