Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Shockwaves and braces

Howdy, y'all.

Question for yinz that know more than me, which is most of you. I know that Shockwaves and Tac14s are considered to NOT be shotguns, but are "firearms" because of the combinatiin of barrel and overall length and the fact that they never had a shoulder stock at the time of manufacture. They are what they are based on legal definitions and not common sense. And I'm OK with that.

I have seen many posts and videos and photos of these firearms with the bird's head grips removed and pkstol grips with braces added as in this video:

What are the legal aspects of configuring one in this manner? Would this conceivably change this to an AOW or some other designation other than a "firearm". It would be cool to mount a folding brace, but I wouldn't want to inadvertantly break the law by doing so.

Thoughts? Citations? Wild-assed guesses?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Shockwaves and braces

Folding brace is fine as long as it's 26" long folded according to the latest "determination" clarifying how to measure guns. Black aces tactical used to make one but now they're deemed illegal. As for putting a fixed brace on anything else, just make sure it measures 26 inches to the end of the "buffer tube" from the bare muzzle end. They sell these built like this every day.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Just found this, dont know if laws have changed since. I have the semiauto version I'd like to convert.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Just found this, dont know if laws have changed since. I have the semiauto version I'd like to convert.

You see this is exactly why there's confusion, looking at you knight, about concealing a "firearm" on ones person. The way they arbitrarily changed the way things were measured on these things was because when something like the one in the video is folded it could be concealed on ones person and change it's classification. When concealing one similar to this that measures over 26 inches, the magical number that is supposed to make it not concealable you are MAKING it concealable simply by doing just that, concealing it on ones person! If the operative word is "may" than why isn't the folding mechanism ok too because the firearm may change it's classification not "would" change. If the act of folding it makes it a concealable AOW then the act of concealing one that doesn't fold should make it a concealable AOW too, irregardless of what the PSP says you can do with it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Howdy, y'all.

Question for yinz that know more than me, which is most of you. I know that Shockwaves and Tac14s are considered to NOT be shotguns, but are "firearms" because of the combinatiin of barrel and overall length and the fact that they never had a shoulder stock at the time of manufacture. They are what they are based on legal definitions and not common sense. And I'm OK with that.

I have seen many posts and videos and photos of these firearms with the bird's head grips removed and pkstol grips with braces added as in this video:

What are the legal aspects of configuring one in this manner? Would this conceivably change this to an AOW or some other designation other than a "firearm". It would be cool to mount a folding brace, but I wouldn't want to inadvertantly break the law by doing so.

Thoughts? Citations? Wild-assed guesses?
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I've been doing some reading on this topic. I recently bought one or these "notashothuns". A pistol grip that is shorter than the birds beak grip might reduce the overall length to under 26in. This would be illegal. I believe it would now be an AOW. Because it never had a factory installed shoulder stock and does not have one....it's not an SBS.

An unregistered AOW is still a problem. One needs to be very careful with modifications of certain guns.....like these 12ga "firearms".....or AR or AK pattern pistols.

(Northampton County)

I would not modify any stabilizing brace or do anything to increase length of pull. I wouldn't put an optic designed for longer range on an AR or AK pistol. I'd be concerned about a federal agent trying to manufacture "intent" to possess an unregistered NFA weapon. Maybe I'm paranoid....but stranger things have happened.

(Northampton County)

If I decide I would want a pistol grip on my notashotgun....I'll go thru the process to buy a tax stamp. 200$ is a bargin.....compared to 7 years in prison and being a prohibited person for life.