Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Decision: XD9sc vs. Bersa UC9

I'm in the market for a new CC pistol. After conducting my homework I've narrowed it down and am having a hard time deciding between a Bersa Ultra Compact 9, and the XD9SC. I can buy a brand new Bersa for what I can get a used XD for.

A new Bersa comes with lifetime warranty, and seems pretty decent, but the XD seems to have an unbeatable reputation in terms of reliablity and accuracy. Would I really be compromising by buying a Bersa? Would I be taking a risk buying a used XD?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Decision: XD9sc vs. Bersa UC9

From what I know, people LOVE their Bersa guns. The warranty cannot be beat.

Then, on the other hand, people also seem to LOVE their XDs.

I had a Bersa in .380, it was an older model from '85, and never missed a beat. Matter of fact, I liked that little gun so much, I gifted it to my father, so he could get back into shooting after a 15 year hiatus. I also have an XD.45, thats good enough that I'm comfortable with it being the only handgun I own.

I think its gonna come down to your personal preference, as far as style and comfort is concerned. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Anyone have any experience with the Bersa UC9? Reliability, accuracy, cust. service, etc?

(Lehigh County)

XD's are great guns. I am not too sure about Bersa but I would think they are also good guns. I have an XD and it has been flawless thru thousands of rounds.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Bersa UC9? Reliability, accuracy, cust. service, etc?
    Currently, I am looking at a Bersa UC 45acp.

Older production of all Bersas came with one magazine,
    Current production come with two magazines.

Current production of all Bersas have Serial Nos. above 841500
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

I have 2 XD's and my GF has one, we both love them. I'm positive you'll be better off with the XD.

They also have a life warrenty, even if your not the original owner.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

Check out http://bersatalk.com/forums/default.aspx

There are several forums that will give you some good info on the Bersa, including one just for the 9mm. I've got the .380, but I'd rather have the T9UC from what I know. I've been over at BersaTalk for a year, and everyone has great things to say about the 9mm.

Mags are a bit expensive, but everything else is top notch, and for the price, Bersas can't be beat. Good luck.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Cambria County)

I carry a Subcompact XD9 with tweaked 40 caliber magazines anytime I leave the house. I love the darn thing. Also put a Crimson Trace laser on it.

I have shot IDPA and USPSA for most of this past year with my subcompact and my IWB holster. It was a disadvantage game wise and kept my scores down. But improved my confidence in the gun and rig I carry daily. And actually, I did rather well at most of the shoots. I know I drew shooters attention when they seen what I was using and how well I was doing.

Can't say much about the Bersa. But I really love my XD. Hasn't failed me to date.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
    I own a matte blue UC9. I bought it on a whim in April of '07 after trying to find a Bersa Concealed Carry .380 and not having any luck. I'd bought a Thunder .380 in January and was happy with it, so I figured the 9mm would be the next step in caliber anway.

My UC9 has performed flawlessly since the day I got it. I haven't had a single failure or issue with it, even when it hasn't been cleaned in quite a while. Many different people, from beginners to long time shooters, have shot my UC 9 and no one else has ever had any issues with it either. In fact, most people are pleasantly surprised after shooting it. It's not a common gun to find on the range and I think they're generally overlooked.

The UC 9 is definitely not a light gun, considering it's an aluminium alloy frame with a steel slide and internals, but that helps with recoil and makes it very (and I mean very) smooth to shoot. It has a really heavy DA trigger pull with a short crisp trigger reset for SA follow-up shots. The sights on my UC are the fixed U-type (Glock style), which I like on this particular gun and I'm able to place the shots exactly where I want them to go if I'm doing my job correctly.

All that said, while I really do like the gun, it's just too big for me. It was the second gun I ever bought and I didn't know then what I know now about proper grip and trigger pull. It's a little too wide in the grip, so I have issues getting my hand high enough for a comfortable DA first shot. Oh I still shoot it, but it doesn't see near as much play time as my S&W M&P 9c does

There are 2 negatives that I see when it comes to the Bersa UC guns. First is that the magazines are fairly expensive at $40 a pop. The price actually dropped $10 this past spring, but that's still expensive, particularly if you're like me and think that the more mags you have the more fun you can have without having to keep reloading. My gun is an older model, so it only included one magazine, but the newer guns come with two magazines. The second is the lack of available accessories. Trying to find off-the-shelf holsters is a challenge and I know many UC9 owners have resorted to having a leather holster custom crafted to suit their CC needs. Don't get me wrong, there are CC holsters available, you just have to hunt for them. To get a general idea of some of what's available, see YourGunParts.com. High Noon Holsters also makes various models for the UC9.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I hope the info has helped. If you lived closer, I'd be more than happy to let you run some rounds through my gun, as it's always nicer to try before you buy If you have any questions, or need specifics on anything I posted, please feel free to ask.
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

I appreciate all the feedback. Hoping to hit up the York show this weekend to check out both.