Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Lehigh County)

Question Army Navy in Whitehall PA

Both good and bad in these trying times.

The good: They were doing FFL transfers by appointment as of Saturday the 28th, including facilitating private handgun transfers, and still only charged $28.50 for a private transfer.

The bad: Now feel free to chastise me if I'm out of line for criticizing this, but after taking the buyer's and seller's DLs and having us fill out the forms, they took the pistol and put it behind the counter, and told us to leave the store and wait for a phone call to pick up the gun (ostensibly due to potential delays in getting a PICS check approval). They said they had to put the gun in their bound book records so the gun was legally their property during the transaction and before my BG check came back clean.

This rubbed me the wrong way because from my perspective, the store essentially stole private property from at least one out of two parties. It turned out OK because while I was making my objections to them telling me I MUST leave the store empty-handed and await their call, my PICS check came back clean so I was able to take possession of the firearm and be on my merry way. But FFLs, please educate me if I'm wrong here, is it actually necessary to put a handgun into your own bound book if you're just facilitating a transfer between two private parties in PA? Wouldn't it make more sense to leave the handgun in possession of the seller until my own BG check came back clean?

I also understand these are trying times and they were only allowing a certain number of people in the store at a given time, but damn if it felt very close to theft to me. Forgive me if I'm out of line for thinking this as it's been many years since I bought a handgun private-party.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Army Navy in Whitehall PA

My understanding of the process, as it was explained to me once by my LGS, they have to put it in the books because they technically take possession of the gun during the transaction. Of course during regular times when pics is working at regular speed this happens at a later time of the day when they get to it. So they were not wrong in telling you to come back if the system was that slow. That is also why if the buyer fails the background the seller has to go through the pics, the shop owns the gun in between transactions.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    My understanding of the process, as it was explained to me once by my LGS, they have to put it in the books because they technically take possession of the gun during the transaction. Of course during regular times when pics is working at regular speed this happens at a later time of the day when they get to it. So they were not wrong in telling you to come back if the system was that slow. That is also why if the buyer fails the background the seller has to go through the pics, the shop owns the gun in between transactions.
    ^this. ALL guns that get transferred got to go in the A&D book and till logged out they do belong to the FFL.
    BTW I'm only $20 and not too far if you wanted to wait.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    ^this. ALL guns that get transferred got to go in the A&D book and till logged out they do belong to the FFL.
    BTW I'm only $20 and not too far if you wanted to wait.
    I'll keep that in mind! I haven't seen you since we went to Unami around 2007 or 2008, so it's been awhile.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks, maybe my expectations are unreasonable. I blame the laws more than the FFLs that are just trying to run a legitimate business.