Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Right-handed, left-eye dominant

Anyone else here in the same boat?

I think I'm gonna have to start shooting rifles left-handed even though it feels awkward and I'm not psyched about having shells fly across my face, because my accuracy has suffered for years from shooting right-handed and it's not showing much signs of improvement...at some point I always plateau short of where I'd like to be.

Anybody got any tips on how this may be corrected for without shooting left-handed?
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Right-handed, left-eye dominant

You can always resort to pre-angle eject Winchester 94's. That way you get the brass from on top of your head downward to in the collar of your shirt.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    My bad. I thought you were talking about pistols. Ignore my pontificating in the first paragraph.

I am in the opposite boat. Lefty but right eye dominant. It never bothered me and it was years before anyone put a term to it. When I aim and close my left eye, I turn my head slightly to the left to put my right eye in line with the sights. OR, I cant the gun slightly to achieve the same effect. You doing the opposite should help getting your left eye lined up with the sights.

I am unable to aim if shooting a long gun left handed. My left eye will simply not compensate to see the sights. I have to shoot a long gun right handed, but it still feels natural for me even though I'm a lefty.
    Last edited by LM4300; October 22nd, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: i misread the post

(York County)

I think I'm gonna have to start shooting rifles left-handed even though it feels awkward and I'm not psyched about having shells fly across my face, because my accuracy has suffered for years from shooting right-handed and it's not showing much signs of improvement...at some point I always plateau short of where I'd like to be.

Anybody got any tips on how this may be corrected for without shooting left-handed?
    you know you can shoot a right handed rifle with your left eye right, im right handed my i shoot everything left eye dominant, ive never owned a left handed gun and its never been a problem for me, but i shoot almost all of my guns as single shots so it doesnt really matter, even with my shotgun (rem. 870) ive never had one hit me in the face, and shooting m-4's and m-16's the casing never hit my face, just practice with it and it will become second nature to load and fire a right handed gun while shooting it left handed, i just think that guns are designed around being right handed so i never wanted to get one, plus its kind of a pain in the ass anyway, but i would most def. recommend that you shoot with your dominant eye
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Monroe County)

I feel for you, I am Right handed and partially blind in my right eye (don't ask I was a stupid 18 year old lol). Shooting a rifle from the left was not that difficult to get the hang of. Getting hit with brass is just going to depend on what rifle you shoot. Most of my rifles are AR-15 platform and as long as they have the brass deflector I don't get pelted with brass. Infact I don't believe I have ever been pelted with brass from any of my rifles. It does take some getting used to twisting the body comfortably shooting in the left possition when you are used to doing it right handed but after a little while it will be second nature!

(Chester County)

I've already shown my non-expertise, but I know there is such thing as left handed rifles. Ever consider one of those?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    you know you can shoot a right handed rifle with your left eye right
    Depends on the rifle and sights. Some I can simply not get a clear sight picture with my left eye.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LM4300 View Post
    I've already shown my non-expertise, but I know there is such thing as left handed rifles. Ever consider one of those?
    No. I want to become skilled at firing a standard rifle. If I were a big hunter or competitive target shooter I might make the investment in a left-handed rifle, but I'm just a casual target shooter.

(York County)

Depends on the rifle and sights. Some I can simply not get a clear sight picture with my left eye.

with which gun? you should be able to get the same sight picture as any right hander, its the same gun just with the bolt on the opposite side
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    with which gun? you should be able to get the same sight picture as any right hander, its the same gun just with the bolt on the opposite side
    Wait, you mean if I'm shooting left-handed...oh yeah, sure I can get a sight picture w/ my left eye then.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast