Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

Quote Originally Posted by Booner View Post
    AHN in Pittsburgh is collecting ours and "sanitizing" them. After a 12-hour shift. They had been single use for as long as I have worked there.
    I wonder what method they use?

I recall mention of hydrogen peroxide in one of the many threads on this topic and we do have a hydrogen peroxide based spray that is certified effective at killing virus' including COVID-19. (Virox RESCUE)

Even before reading about it, I was wondering if spraying the mask with this stuff would "sanitize" it - or would spraying it cause the mask to lose effectiveness - would the "fibers" be affected by wetting, opening the pores?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

I recall mention of hydrogen peroxide in one of the many threads on this topic and we do have a hydrogen peroxide based spray that is certified effective at killing virus' including COVID-19. (Virox RESCUE)

Even before reading about it, I was wondering if spraying the mask with this stuff would "sanitize" it - or would spraying it cause the mask to lose effectiveness - would the "fibers" be affected by wetting, opening the pores?
    Decon3 (2).jpg
    Last edited by gghbi; April 4th, 2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Finally got a bigger one...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Interesting. But how effective is it?

JUST KIDDING!!!
    Thanks!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Luzerne County)

My son messaged. He says the hospital issued him four mask. He says he plans to stay away from people as much as he can.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

“For cloth masks, my mask protects you, and your mask protects me.”

- secretary (that guy in a dress) of the Pennsylvania Department of Health

I will say that until this newest propaganda campaign, everyone wearing bandannas and pulling their shirts up over their noses, were NOT trying to protect anyone but themselves.
    i'm out of rep.

when my department requires it, i will mask up. until then, all my stuff sits idle. including the broken sewing machine i've been too lazy to fix (or to finish some of the sewing related "honey do" projects... or hemming.)
    i do like seeing this "wow, i can help" wartime mentality with everyone doing their arts and crafts. i'd like to see even more healthy young people filling the demand that all the "from home" shopping, eating and etc have created. instead of waiting for muh gubbamint checkz.
    even pa liquor should be hiring pickers and shippers right about now... although gov, so they are probably fine NOT making money so long as they can control the flow of booze.
    they are saying now, like it was the most groundbreaking science discovery ever, is people are speaking, breathing, sneezing and coughing are spreading the contamination to others. they are worried about immune carriers and asymptomatic people spreading it like typhoid mary.
    suddenly 6' is well within the cone of danger 27' or so feet out that everyone has in front of them.
    ...seriously wouldn't surprise me if they soon say this spreads in a mist cloud that leaves nothing but death and destruction in its wake as it slowly rolls through low laying areas.

this sanitizing thing i've been wondering about for a while, especially as mask demand increases and more and more get ill. how do you know the mask you pull out of the clamshell or box is clean?
    what does the company do to ensure they are sterile?
    does china (our main supplier of everything) give two shits if what they ship out is clean?
    would UV, ozone, liquid oxidizer or time be valid methods?
    of course almost any method of sanitizing a mask could cause serious harm if one were to challenge darwin with household chemicals and other hazardous materials.

also, don't many of the n95's have an exhaust port which will render wearing one as effective in limiting "your" spread as a bandanna?
    my respirator would also only be effective on intake not exhaust without modifications.
    Last edited by fallenleader; April 4th, 2020 at 04:05 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    That printout is from 2009 and is related to imperfect decontamination after prolonged storage.
    It is not a recommendation specific to COVID-19 decontamination.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    That printout is from 2009 and is related to imperfect decontamination after prolonged storage.
    It is not a recommendation specific to COVID-19 decontamination.
    It's might be both.

I'm not doubting the origin, but a federal first responder friend of mine sent me the exact same thing, which was part of an 80-page document distributed directly as a response to COVID.

IMO, the reference at the bottom indicates the "science" that the recommendation, made currently, and specifically with COVID response in mind, is based on.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; April 4th, 2020 at 05:14 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...ion-1.43591510

Ohio nonprofit brings N95 mask decontamination machines to Stony Brook

By David Olson
    Updated April 2, 2020 9:40 PM

Two machines being installed at Stony Brook University will use vaporized hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate up to 80,000 N95 respirator masks a day, allowing as many as 20 reuses of a mask for each health care worker treating COVID-19 patients.

The machines, from the Battelle Memorial Institute, a Columbus, Ohio-based science and technology nonprofit, are housed in shipping containers that were converted into airtight chambers, said Kevin Good, a research leader at Battelle who is supervising the setup at Stony Brook. The goal is to begin decontaminating masks in the next few days, he said.

The machine, called a critical care decontamination system, is believed to be the largest N95 mask decontamination device ever built, Battelle spokeswoman Katy Delaney said. Stony Brook has two of the eight machines that are expected to be in operation in the next few days, with the rest at the nonprofit’s Columbus headquarters and in Seattle, she said. Other locations may be added later, she said.

Stony Brook University Hospital will send its masks to the machine, and with the capacity to decontaminate so many masks so quickly, other hospitals also will be able to use it, Delaney said.

Hospital officials, health care workers and political leaders have said they are worried whether there will be enough N95 masks for the duration of the pandemic, and hospitals are desperately trying to conserve those they have.

Some Long Island hospitals already decontaminate masks, but on a much smaller scale.

Each of the six Catholic Health Services of Long Island hospitals has at least one machine the size of a microwave oven that can sterilize three masks a minute with ultraviolet light, said Dr. Patrick M. O’Shaughnessy, executive vice president and chief clinical officer for the system.

Mount Sinai South Nassau hospital sends 300 masks at a time to Oregon for sterilization with ethylene oxide, said Paula Zweig-Cohen, director of infection control for the hospital and a registered nurse. The turnaround time is several days, she said.

The hospital hopes to gain access to the Stony Brook machines, which would be just over 40 miles away rather than nearly 3,000.

“It would be a game changer if we could reprocess them quickly and get them back into use,” she said.

Stony Brook came to the attention of Battelle because Battelle manages Brookhaven National Laboratory with The Research Foundation for The State University of New York, Good said. Stony Brook is the largest academic user of the laboratory, according to Brookhaven.

The liquid used in Battelle’s process is more powerful than the hydrogen peroxide in bathroom medicine cabinets.

“The stuff you’re using at home is 3% hydrogen peroxide solution,” Good said. “This is a 35% hydrogen peroxide solution.”

The machine vaporizes the hydrogen peroxide, and a fan-type device distributes the vapor throughout the chamber, ensuring that all the masks get a thin coating of hydrogen peroxide condensation, Good said.

“Hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic, so it’s naturally going to kill everything,” he said.

The process lasts about three to four hours and ends with a blower removing the hydrogen peroxide from the masks, Good said. Each machine holds up to 5,000 masks.

Battelle has been using a hydrogen peroxide vapor decontamination process for lab equipment for years, Good said.

"It's just being used on a larger scale" with the N95 masks, he said.

The machines arrived at Stony Brook on Saturday, he said.

Eleven Battelle employees will staff the machines, he said. Costs are yet to be determined, Delaney said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Sunday approved the use of the machines outside Battelle’s headquarters, after President Donald Trump tweeted “@FDA must move quickly!” earlier that day.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

What cracks me up is the government's statement that under no circumstance should civilians wear N95 masks and how they are for trained professionals only. Well, back in the days when we thought Ebola was coming here, I bought a few N95 masks and sealed them up in an ammo can. I have been wearing one whenever I get within 20 feet of another person in public since this started.

Now I'm an arse hat because I didn't give them to a doctor somewhere. If I wasn't high risk myself, I would have. I just don't need a guilt trip about looking out for my family and being smart enough to do so. I guess I will have to get a scarf to cover up my professionals only mask.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast