Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 68
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Carson City, Wentzylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    21474842

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You know if you piss on your home made mask, when it dries it’s twice as effective. It’s like a k&n filter.
    I'll be happy to increase the effectiveness of anyone's homemade mask for the price of a six-pack.
    Take away the soap box, take away the ballot box and all that's left is the cartridge box.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,329
    Rep Power
    21474850

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ercildoun, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    4,153
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    I remember those mosquito coils at the drive in movies I wonder if they'll work?

    ​Masks are being used to promote fear in order to demonstrate control.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,310
    Rep Power
    21474861

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Just posted this on FB. I think the new recommendation is mostly meant to calm the masses, and not really an effective strategy.

    A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...FBmHutW88KH0GQ
    Conclusions
    This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.
    Attention NRA Life and voting members - LPRGCFRANK running for NRA board of directors

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    5,307
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Are these sew at home masks approved by the Board of Health, FDA, AMA, et al? All they are is a feel good thing, you know, like virtue signaling.

    On another note, how long is one N95 or 95N (whatever they are) good for?
    Hi, how's your mental health?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,310
    Rep Power
    21474861

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Are these sew at home masks approved by the Board of Health, FDA, AMA, et al? All they are is a feel good thing, you know, like virtue signaling.

    On another note, how long is one N95 or 95N (whatever they are) good for?
    On the second question, my EMT friend says a max of 12 hours is the recommendation. Obviously, in a hospital setting, dealing with multiple patients, normal protocol would be to change after every patient.
    Attention NRA Life and voting members - LPRGCFRANK running for NRA board of directors

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    5,307
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    On the second question, my EMT friend says a max of 12 hours is the recommendation. Obviously, in a hospital setting, dealing with multiple patients, normal protocol would be to change after every patient.
    Thanks, and could that be converted to a cumulative 12 hours of intermittent use? I have some masks if I need them but I only have a few and to burn one every time I go out would kill the supply in no-time.
    Hi, how's your mental health?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the can, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,280
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Thanks, and could that be converted to a cumulative 12 hours of intermittent use? I have some masks if I need them but I only have a few and to burn one every time I go out would kill the supply in no-time.
    That's really the issue.
    N95's are disposable masks, always have been, it is not unusual for 2 guys to go through an entire box of 20 in a day when doing very dirty construction/renovation work.

    N95's are not reusable under normal circumstances.
    There is a research hospital that has developed a way to fumigate contaminated N95 masks with hydrogen peroxide so they can be reused.
    But the process involves specialized equipment and cannot be replicated at home.

    Truly effective cloth masks with a HEPA filter insert are only partly reusable.
    The outer cloth sleeve can be laundered or washed in hot soapy water and reused.
    The HEPA filter material inserted within the cloth sleeve must be discarded and replaced each time the mask is washed.

    If done properly with a good nose bridge bar and a tight fit, a cloth mask with a true HEPA filter insert can replicate or exceed the performance of an N95.
    The key is making sure the insert is a true HEPA material, and making sure the mask fits snugly with no gaps for air to get around it.

    The cloth masks that loop around the ears are often not tight enough for a total seal around the face.
    Cloth masks that tie around the head can be pulled tighter and allow for a much better snug fit with no air gaps.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    5,123
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Thanks, and could that be converted to a cumulative 12 hours of intermittent use? I have some masks if I need them but I only have a few and to burn one every time I go out would kill the supply in no-time.
    Rotate through them. Lay them in the sun to dry and sterilize them.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    27,388
    Rep Power
    21474877

    Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    That's really the issue.
    N95's are disposable masks, always have been, it is not unusual for 2 guys to go through an entire box of 20 in a day when doing very dirty construction/renovation work.

    N95's are not reusable under normal circumstances.
    There is a research hospital that has developed a way to fumigate contaminated N95 masks with hydrogen peroxide so they can be reused.
    But the process involves specialized equipment and cannot be replicated at home.

    Truly effective cloth masks with a HEPA filter insert are only partly reusable.
    The outer cloth sleeve can be laundered or washed in hot soapy water and reused.
    The HEPA filter material inserted within the cloth sleeve must be discarded and replaced each time the mask is washed.

    If done properly with a good nose bridge bar and a tight fit, a cloth mask with a true HEPA filter insert can replicate or exceed the performance of an N95.
    The key is making sure the insert is a true HEPA material, and making sure the mask fits snugly with no gaps for air to get around it.

    The cloth masks that loop around the ears are often not tight enough for a total seal around the face.
    Cloth masks that tie around the head can be pulled tighter and allow for a much better snug fit with no air gaps.

    As I asked Scruff... Effective at what?


    At this point talking about mask "effectiveness" is pointless unless you specify WHAT you are talking about - protecting the wearer from contracting it, or preventing the wearer from spreading it.

    You can't say "both" unless you are talking about preventing the wearer from contracting it.

    You (not you specifically) need to SPECIFY what you are talking about because right or wrong, people reading are using this info as medical advice.
    (Pgh) PAFOA GROUP SHOOT * Sat June 20th * ALL WELCOME (click 4 info)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Masks and respirators
    By mccula in forum Emergency Preparedness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 21st, 2020, 08:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •