Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: how many fudd bought ar-15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    A coworker went out and bought one a couple weeks ago and now he won't shut up about it. It's a bottom shelf unit but it'll get the job done. But still, dude, shut the hell up. He talks about his 150 rounds of 223 and 3 PMAG's like he's going to fighting the Boog solo.
    sounds like 5 mins at the range

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    I dislike the platform, an illogical bias planted when the marines took my m14 and gave me the plastic pos. I know that the new ARs are far superior to the original m16, however bias persists.
    I've seen all the ballistic gel tests etc for the round, but I prefer the 72x51 for meat.
    My hog leg. The last time I shot it was at newholland banging that small plate @640yrds.
    Notice the selector switch patch.

The target is about 20' left of that toppled 2

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Well, I don't have one and I didn't go out and buy one either. In the past, I have done "a bit" of AR/M16 shooting during my Army and LEO time. I was part of the instructor group at my department that transitioned our officers from shotguns to ARs in the mid 90s. I have had the chance to take some good carbine classes in the past (Clint Smiths Urban Rifle, HK Training Groups Tactical Rifle, and Massad Ayoob's Emergency Rifle Class). With that said, I have never really enjoyed shooting rifles, so I don't own any.

So you can count me in the "I don't need/want" one camp. BUT, just because I don't need or more importantly want one, doesn't mean that I won't support one's ability to own one. Lots of my shooting friends/acquaintances have them, for defense, competing, casual plinking, and even hunting - in those states that allow it and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

The only real gripe I have about ARs is - I really dislike having one shot in the stall next to me at the indoor range. If I was "king" of the indoor range(s) all rifle shooting would be in a separate rifle bay. But that is just my opinion.
    Not one rifle?! Hope you can make handgun hits at a distance.

They really are freaking loud indoors huh? Can you imagine that NJ forces you (you know, by penalty of jail) to have a welded compensator instead of a regular flash hider.. increases the noise, blast and concussion significantly. Dumb law even for NJ standards.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    I dislike the platform, an illogical bias planted when the marines took my m14 and gave me the plastic pos. I know that the new ARs are far superior to the original m16, however bias persists.
    I've seen all the ballistic gel tests etc for the round, but I prefer the 72x51 for meat.
    Interesting. My father’s brigade in Vietnam was among the last to swap their M14’s. He was a Marine and absolutely LOVED his M16. Has talked about the weight savings and increase in rounds over the M14 many times. He has also talked about never having a problem stopping a threat, and the ones they were given didn’t fail(neither his or any of his buddies had malfunctions. He never heard about any.) Interesting you have the opposite opinion.

Oh, and I think you meant 7.62x51...or 308.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Bucks County)

Thanks for pointing out the booboo, I corrected my post. I'm pretty sure that lot of guys who used both feel the same way as your dad, I just haven't met one yet. Mine was swapped out in 1966, and you could count on it jamming at worst of times. It didn't seem to do well in the hot, humid jungle environment and more then one guy preferred captured AK's. The plastic stock was also an issue. If you smacked someone upside the head with an M14 stock you sent a message. The Matty Mattel toy gun, not so much.
    As I said earlier, I understand that AR is a completely different rifle now, thank goodness.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    ... Yes, I have run into a hunter or two who simply weren’t “gun guys”. But the ones I’ve met never had a problem with sport rifles or handguns....they may have thought others are “dumb” for buying them, that those firearms are a waste, but these kind seem to live & let live. I haven’t met any hunters trying to get AR’s or handguns BANNED, I mean. ...
    That's pretty much my experience too. I only say 'fudd' when I mean someone in that mode who thinks therefore only the guns they like/use should be legal.
    DGAF

(York County)

Not a "fudd" but also amusing to me was my friend who is what I'll call a "Biden"...

Comfy middle class fellow who shoots trap and skeet. Owns a couple high-end Italian shotguns. Has said the only pistols and rifles that should be allowed are .22's for 'sporting' use. Has said "what difference does it make how big a hole you make in the target?" Doesn't think of guns as for home/self defense at all. Probably wears tweed when shooting clays (never been with him, although I do LIKE shooting clays).

Yesterday asked me what sort of pistols he should buy for his wife, son and self "just in case," and if I'd take him to my club and give him some basic starters.

I will of course. I'm willing to start his 'conversion' without insisting he accept the entire dogma at once.

But I am gonna have to bust his balls at least a little bit about it... :-)
    DGAF

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Not a "fudd" but also amusing to me was my friend who is what I'll call a "Biden"...

Comfy middle class fellow who shoots trap and skeet. Owns a couple high-end Italian shotguns. Has said the only pistols and rifles that should be allowed are .22's for 'sporting' use. Has said "what difference does it make how big a hole you make in the target?" Doesn't think of guns as for home/self defense at all. Probably wears tweed when shooting clays (never been with him, although I do LIKE shooting clays).

Yesterday asked me what sort of pistols he should buy for his wife, son and self "just in case," and if I'd take him to my club and give him some basic starters.

I will of course. I'm willing to start his 'conversion' without insisting he accept the entire dogma at once.

YES, we are going to need these converts when the anti gun folks put out more crap legislation. Enforce that a law against one gun is a law against all guns in the end...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    YES, we are going to need these converts when the anti gun folks put out more crap legislation. Enforce that a law against one gun is a law against all guns in the end...
    ABSO-FLIPPIN-LUTELY.

I should make a couple things clear toward that goal:

1) This is not some unreasonable guy. I'm not friends with unreasonable people. It's just he 'knows' what he grew up with. Shotguns shooting at clays are safe and fine 'cuz Dad did that, Dad's friends did that, he did that and bonded with Dad, etc. etc. That which you know is fine and safe and good.
    2) He's not some loony left guy. Typical "socially moderate, fiscally conservative" type. I put that in quotes, because I don't think he's socially "moderate" at all... but that's how he perceives it. Let me put a point on it: in 08 and 12 he voted for Obama. In 16, in the end, he voted for Trump. Perhaps 'reluctantly' but he did.
    3) He does not consider himself "anti gun" nor really identify with the real anti-2a types. He's EXACTLY the sort who gets 'snookered' by 'common-sense gun control' measures. He takes that at face value and doesn't get they're not common-sense at all. He just thinks we should get rid of the 'dangerous' guns that 'don't make sense'.
    4) If he came here and posted his thoughts/responses... he'd get ripped a new one.
    5) He approached me about getting pistols... not vice-versa. He's not dumb, he's not inobservant, he's not disconnected from reality.

Just saying we have an opportunity here. I don't think you'll be converting any die-hards. But there's a ton of 'bidens' and other folks who -perceive- themselves as middle of the road who just went and bought guns.

If we welcome them and show them we're not nutbags, inform them, educate them, let them come through the door gradually... I think this whole situation is a real opportunity to shift the curve. Let them still think they're middle-of-the-road. Let them still think they're moderates. Let them say stupid things without jumping down their throat. Treat them like children, give them time, understand they are 'immature' yet.

But the plain fact remains... A new gun in the hand of someone who 'never thought they'd own a _____' is an opportunity. Once some legislation comes down the pike that proposes to restrict YOUR gun, that you know isn't being used to mass-shoot people, that you know doesn't jump up and kill on its own, that you know is in the hands of a "reasonable" person with "common sense"... All of a sudden, that legislation doesn't seem so common sense. And before you know it, you're picking up the phone, signing the petition or writing the letter to your congresscreature.

THAT is how we start to swing the pendulum back, I think.

I guess I'm just sayin... we owe Hillary Clinton. We KNOW how people react if you view them as 'deplorable'. Let's not make that mistake.

Sorry. Here endeth the rant.
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Well, I don't have one and I didn't go out and buy one either. In the past, I have done "a bit" of AR/M16 shooting during my Army and LEO time. I was part of the instructor group at my department that transitioned our officers from shotguns to ARs in the mid 90s. I have had the chance to take some good carbine classes in the past (Clint Smiths Urban Rifle, HK Training Groups Tactical Rifle, and Massad Ayoob's Emergency Rifle Class). With that said, I have never really enjoyed shooting rifles, so I don't own any.

So you can count me in the "I don't need/want" one camp. BUT, just because I don't need or more importantly want one, doesn't mean that I won't support one's ability to own one. Lots of my shooting friends/acquaintances have them, for defense, competing, casual plinking, and even hunting - in those states that allow it and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

The only real gripe I have about ARs is - I really dislike having one shot in the stall next to me at the indoor range. If I was "king" of the indoor range(s) all rifle shooting would be in a separate rifle bay. But that is just my opinion.
    I can respect that. Thank you.

Now this guy below, I don't. At least at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast