Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default AR Upper Assembly

Hey all, longtime lurker and first time poster. I’ve sourced all of the parts I wanted to build an AR upper; however, I don’t have any tooling or knowledge. Does anyone here assemble them as a job? Can you recommend someone? Thanks!

Default Re: AR Upper Assembly

Welcome to the site, unfortunately I’m in the opposite side of the state from you. Assembling an upper isn’t very difficult and only requires a few simple tools.

Here are a couple excellent videos that show each step. If you feel you cant tackle it I’m sure a member in your area will chime in with an answer.

(Allegheny County)

I built all of mine using a screwdriver for a punch, and a big rock for a hammer.

Not really. OK, maybe partially true.

Really though, you can get by with mostly basic tools.
    I finally broke down and bought a vice and vice block so I can properly torque barrels (I used to do everything else and have a friend install the barrel), but beyond that, I use "improvised tools" for everything else.

Check out my most recent build thread. You'll shit a brick laughing at my "methods".
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=352379
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

This is a post from the above linked thread.
    I'm posting this so other noobs can see just how little specialized tools are required to build one.

I'm really kicking myself for not doing a quick and dirty video of the assembly of this build.
    It would really help to dispel the notion that it's hard to assemble an AR15 and/or you need "specialized tools" to do it.
    (I forgot to include the disposable utility knife)

************************************************** ************************************************** ******

I want people to understand that it's "just THAT easy" to assemble one all by yourself!

Tonight I grabbed the pistol, looked it over, and went over the process in my head, and gathered up all the tools I used to put it together.
    Everything is here - including the work bench!

Aside from mounting the vise on a plank and parking the SUV on it to hold it secure while I torqued the barrel nut on, the rest of it was put together either in my lap while browsing poofa, or on the kitchen counter!
    (not shown are the barrel nut "wrench/crows foot" and the hex key because they came with the hand guard)

4" vise (Harbor Freight)
    White duct tape - used to protect the surface of the upper while installing roll pins/etc.
    Long assed screwdriver for the grip screw
    (edit: I started the grip screw with the screwdriver, but snugged it up with a hex bit and ratchet - forgot to include ratchet in pic)
    Torque wrench (Harbor Freight)
    Robo Grip pliers - used for roll pin on bolt catch and roll pin on gas tube. We don't need no STEEENKING PUNCHES!!!
    3 sizes of hex keys
    TAPCO cheapo $10 spanner wrench for castle nut
    Blue thread locker (gas block set screws)
    Upper vise block

EDIT: The measuring cup was not used in the assembly of the pistol - it was used to make blueberry muffins.
    The gun turned out better than the muffins.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all of the help, guys I have some stuff coming in the mail soon and I think I can do this myself. Thanks again!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by FranLikesHam View Post
    Thanks for all of the help, guys I have some stuff coming in the mail soon and I think I can do this myself. Thanks again!
    If you run into any problems, post the question here. I'm sure one of us can walk you through it.