Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: School me on lever action rifles!

Precisely... But at Ruger price points. I didn't even realize chiappa had a high end.

-Zach

(Berks County)

OK, both sites show Winchester 94 for my Sears .30-30. Here's a pic if it and my Savage 99E.

Attachment 130439
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Carbon County)

I still have a LOT of 99 Savage rifles and sold or traded quite a few over the years. I have two .308's, one .243, and one .284 model 88 Winchester. Fine light rifles, but you have to be careful feeding them. I have a bunch of Marlin 336 parts and receivers waiting to be worked on. A marlin '44 Magnum, and a model 39 .22. I still have one Winchester '94. Of all the lever guns I have owned, the Savage 99 has the smoothest action. I never owned or worked on a BLR. They may be really good guns, or most people just can't afford them. You rarely hear them discussed. Just as well, they look a little prissy to me. Henry? A good salesman. They have nothing to do with the original Henry company. They seem a little high priced for what they are.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I still have a LOT of 99 Savage rifles and sold or traded quite a few over the years. I have two .308's, one .243 Of all the lever guns I have owned, the Savage 99 has the smoothest action. I never owned or worked on a BLR. They may be really good guns, or most people just can't afford them. You rarely hear them discussed. Just as well, they look a little prissy to me.
    Externally, the Finnwolf looks like a Savage 99 clone. My understanding is that the action is completely different. It has a 4 round removable box magazine. I haven't shot it in about 40 years, but I recall it being a tack driver back then.

(Carbon County)

The Finnwolf is a Winchester model 88 clone, If we are thinking of the same model. Some internal differences, but not much.

(Lancaster County)

The Finnwolf is a Winchester model 88 clone, If we are thinking of the same model. Some internal differences, but not much.
    just looked at some pics.............you are correct.

Henry? A good salesman. They have nothing to do with the original Henry company. They seem a little high priced for what they are.
    Seem pretty reasonably priced compared to the rest of the market. Marlin's are just as expensive as Henry for a new rifle, and I'm not convinced they've fixed all of their issues. The new ones I've handled aren't nearly as nice as the JM guns I have. Used Marlin's aren't cheap, unless it's a 336 or 30A in 30.30. Chiappa, Taylor's, and Cimarron are all made in Italy and are a lot more expensive than Henry or Marlin which are both American made. A Cimarron 1873 will cost you over $1k and you'll need to sink in more money to get it close to as smooth as a Henry.

Rossi's are relatively inexpensive, but their quality is spotty. Still, if you find the right, one, they can be good rifles. I scored a refurbished 92 for $375 several years back. I tuned the action and it runs just as nice as my Henry Big Boy and my Dad's 73's. Only issue is it doesn't like .38 spcl. It will feed them, but if you run the action hard, it will kick a live round out along with the empty. I tried running .38 loaded longer, and it helped a bit, but I've since switched to .357 for SASS. My wife's Puma in .44 mag is the same way with .44 spcl.

One area Henry falls down on is SASS competition. At least for the Big Boy rifles. They're meant for target shooting and hunting. Not to be run hard and fast repeatedly. I killed my first Big Boy Steel running it for Cowboy Action. Broke the extractor. Henry sent me a new one and I broke that one too. Sent the rifle back to Henry and they sent me a new gun. The new one runs perfectly. I just don't run it in competition anymore.
    Last edited by Ronin; April 2nd, 2020 at 10:17 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    So what do i need to know about lever guns? Is there a better caliber choice? Yeah, i know better is subjective so explain why you like whatever caliber you prefer please. What brands (other than Henry who are top of the list so far) should i be looking at.
    I have a Browning .22LR lever action because my father gave it to me when I was 8.
    I have a Winchester 30-30 Trapper lever action because my father gave it to me when I was 10.

The Winchester is Parkerized because I accidentally left it in my cargo trailer after coming back from camping.

rifles.jpg

Both go "bang" when you pull the trigger. One is a lot cheaper to shoot than the other...and doesn't make as much noise. The other feels a lot better in your hands.....and it will get your ass beat when you set up some Pepsi cans and do your best shoot from the hip "The Rifleman" imitation as fast as you can, when you're supposed to be looking for something with four legs to shoot at.
    Last edited by free; April 2nd, 2020 at 11:00 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    One area Henry falls down on is SASS competition. At least for the Big Boy rifles. They're meant for target shooting and hunting. Not to be run hard and fast repeatedly. I killed my first Big Boy Steel running it for Cowboy Action. Broke the extractor. Henry sent me a new one and I broke that one too. Sent the rifle back to Henry and they sent me a new gun. The new one runs perfectly. I just don't run it in competition anymore.
    That's kind of a shame. I'm not saying i would shoot it a ton, but i also want a gun i don't have to worry about. I know Henry will make it right, but that doesn't help if you actually need the gun to work right then.

-Zach

(Chester County)

Zach, a dozen or so lever actions are on auction on-line w/ Alderfers that go off in 5 days. The lever actions start with #1264, but there's sh!t ton of other cool stuff including snake guns, etc.

Anyways, here's the link: https://bid.alderferauction.com/bid/48887?section=items

You're in Bucks county, they're in Montgomery county - maybe an hour away?

Good luck...
    - bamboomaster

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast