Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: School me on lever action rifles!

if going for a pistol caliber i would not go over 16 '' barrel they start to slow down after .
    also mine does not like 38s

(Allegheny County)

This thread needs some motivational photos...

22 Henry Large Loop carbine (I finally took that scope off it)

Marlin 1894 357 magnum carbine - trust me, it ain't pretty when you get up close, but it's a hell of a nice shooter.
    Don't ask me what I paid for it.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Personal preference - I like the look of the straight grip vs the "pistol grip" on most Marlins.
    The straight grip has the traditional "western" look that I like.

I also prefer a lever gun to have a side loading gate vs tube loading only.
    It's not a huge thing, but without the side gate, you can't "top it off" by simply pressing a round in through the side at your convenience.

There's a gazillion 30-30 lever guns on the used market, but pistol calibers command more of a premium.
    I absolutely LOVE my 357 - it's SO light and handy. It points naturally and is quick to put rounds where you want them.
    My carbine is picky and doesn't like to load 38s, but it's a bit worn, and that could be the reason. It feeds 357 without a problem for the most part - certain ammo doesn't feed reliably - but again, this thing has seen better days.

No matter what you get, it's sure to be a winner.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Did someone say lever guns? Marlin 1895SS 1991 vintage. 2x7 Vari-X II Leupold scope, forget the brand of flip up lens protectors. I did upgrade the sling recently to a 1 1/4" wide Montana Sling and put the original Marlin leather sling in a protective bag. Original Marlin slings go for a couple of dollars on eBay. I have reloaded for this rifle in the past. 45/70 is a pretty useful size. I've been buying ammo from Steinel Ammo formerly Xcaliber which loads hot 300 gr semi jacketed holler points. They're sposed to run 2000 fps out of this guy. My reloads actually did run 2000 fps and that seems to be the best load for this particular rifle.

I'm using it on a 100 and 200 yard range and those lackluster Winchester and Remington 405 grain Trapdoor loads would barely reach the target at 200 yards. No wonder Custer got slaughtered. I haven't tried any of those rubber tipped deals from Hornady but feel free to tell us how they work if you do try them. I belong to a Marlin and 45/70 forums and it seems Remington has worked out all their manufacturing problems so don't be going around bad mouthing them because it's the latest cool thing to say on Tweeter or some gun forum if you don't know what your talking about.

One thing I can tell you for certain. In each box of ammo there are twenty rounds. When you get to round ten you'll be setting the gun down and taking a break. I learned to sight in purty damn fast with rifle. Get it on paper at 100yds with the first three shots and fine tune with two more. I had a Nikon 3x9 scope on it and replaced it with the Leupold.

Steinel Ammo
    https://www.steinelammo.com/product/...hp-high-power/

Montana Slings
    https://www.montanagunslings.com/

Last edited by JenniferG; April 1st, 2020 at 06:36 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(York County)

I love my lever guns: I've got a bunch.

Owned three different Rossi 92s over the years. Maybe just my luck but all three have been very reliable feeding all kinds of ammo. My current Rossi in .38/357 feeds just about everything including handloaded wad cutters. I leave about 1/8" of lead exposed to allow it to make the jump from the feed ramp to chamber, but it does feed.

I must be the outrider on this but I prefer the octagonal over the round barrel. I've found that the 20" Rossi a bit too light up front and like the steadiness a heavier barrel offers. After all, with a 20" barrel the Rossi it barely tips the scales at a bit over 5 lbs.

Now my fancy saddle carbine is an Uberti short rifle with a 20" octagonal barrel. The action on the those 73 rifles makes the much longer and much heavier than the 1892 actions. Mine feeds like a champion with both .38s or .357 ammo, but it is more sensitive to cartridge OAL so your mileage may vary with feeding. (no wadcutters in this one unless single fed)

I have no experience with the Henry so sorry can't help you there. As for the Marlins, I'd love to find one of them in a pistol caliber but the older JM guns go for a premium and I've not been in the right place at the right time to score one. I can't say much bad about any of the .30-30s or the .45-70 except that all of mine are older guns made before Remington's downward spiral on quality control.

(Warren County)

I love the look of straight line stock win 94. i bought one used in 3030. It shoots ok.

I ran across a deal on an older Marlin with the curved stock. Couldn't pass it up.
    What a difference in the action! The Marlin cocks sooth as glass, while (in comparison) the Winchester is like trying to close a rusty gate.

Shoots fine.

And thats my anectdotal experience.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Lets talk about magazine fed lever actions.....Savage 99, Winchester 95, Browning BLR, Sako Finnwolf....

Don't forget about the Henry Long Ranger. Available in .223/5.56, .243, .308, and 6.5 Creedmoor. I submitted a suggestion to Henry that they thread the barrels and offer it in 6.5 Grendel, 300BLK, and 7.62x39.

H014S-Long-Ranger-Hero-2-scaled.jpg

I have a few chambered in .22, .30-30, 44 Magnum and .45-70. Henry, Marlin, Henry and Marlin. The Marlins are genuine. I enjoy shooting the .44 Mag Henry the most. It serves me well both plinking and hunting. A Henry Long Ranger may be in my future. I have some other things up first on the wish list for 2020.

I have 2 Marlin .30-30s one I bought in the early 90s a 336, one recently thats a 60s or 70s mfg . I removed the scopes replaced the plug screws and shoot these with irons. The older one is nicely broken in and the action sweet. It does have the trigger flop which is annoying but I can live with it.
    I also have a Henry Big bore .44 magnum in blued steel receiver, also in iron sights. The action is butter smooth and the trigger crisp. The recoil on maximum .44 mag rounds is tame. The rifles matched up with a Ruger Super black hawk hunter 7.5" ss
    To me these are heavy woods/ brush rifles where a scope won't do you much good, snag on stuff and add weight. Most shots are going to be under 100 yds too.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; April 1st, 2020 at 08:24 AM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Personal preference - I like the look of the straight grip vs the "pistol grip" on most Marlins.
    The straight grip has the traditional "western" look that I like.

I also prefer a lever gun to have a side loading gate vs tube loading only.
    It's not a huge thing, but without the side gate, you can't "top it off" by simply pressing a round in through the side at your convenience.

There's a gazillion 30-30 lever guns on the used market, but pistol calibers command more of a premium.
    I absolutely LOVE my 357 - it's SO light and handy. It points naturally and is quick to put rounds where you want them.
    My carbine is picky and doesn't like to load 38s, but it's a bit worn, and that could be the reason. It feeds 357 without a problem for the most part - certain ammo doesn't feed reliably - but again, this thing has seen better days.

No matter what you get, it's sure to be a winner.
    See, now that's funny. I like the Marlins specifically because of the grip/stock. To each his own.

I do like side gates better, except when hunting. I jump around from site to site a bunch and have go unload to do so. Unloading a side gate is a PITA and, so I'm told, will compress your bullet in the cartridge if done repeatedly.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast