Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Scope for 22lr target shooting?

So im looking to do some 22lr target shooting. Most will be 50-100yards with the occasional 200 yards. Right now I have two options that I own. Neither are my first choices. A Leupold VX1 3-9x40 or a Leupold VX3i 3-9X50. Both are new in their boxes, well the vx3i was mounted on a winchester 70 but never sited in. I inherited them from my father. Anyone have any thoughts on using either of these? I know the paralex on most Leupolds are set at 100 yards. Wondering if that will make much difference at 50 yards?

Default Re: Scope for 22lr target shooting?

My choice would be a fixed power like the Weaver T-series.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

There is a significant parallax error at 50 yards for a scope set to 100 yards. When shooting at 50 yards rest the rifle firmly, center the crosshair on a one inch square, and move your head up and down. You will see the crosshair move up and down on the target. My estimation is about 1 inch from top to bottom. How much a difference this will make is up to you. I find people naturally look at the center of a scope so parralax errors don't matter that much. Looking off axis is where the problems start.

200 yards for a .22lr? At that range I don't think parallax from a scope set too close will be your problem.

Primary Arms has at least one dedicated 22lr scope and last I saw it had excellent reviews. They typically are well priced on most of their branded products.

(Bucks County)

What .22 rifle are you shooting? Does it have a reputation of being extremely accurate?

I looking at a Savage mk2. Basically I want to be able to shoot as close to competition as possible within the limits of the rifle. I dont shoot competition but I like to go out and shoot like I am. I like challenging myself to shoot as accurate as I possibly can without spending the money those guys spend.

(Bucks County)

Is it the heavy barreled one? A Savage mk2 should be a decent rifle but it is not a competition target model. The good news is you don't have to spend $1000+ on a scope! I would think either of the 3x9 scopes you have would be a good first choice. You shouldn't need more magnification like the target guys use for ultraprecise work and the low powers will be good for real world hunting.

I would say either of the scopes you have would be good to start. Then shoot the rifle some and see how it does. Try at least 10 different types of .22 ammo. You will be surprised with the difference it can make if your rifle likes one of them. Then if you find yourself shooting cloverleafs at 50 yards get out your checkbook.

I have a Vortex Crossfire II rimfire on my 10/22. It's a decent little scope for the money.

(Lehigh County)

200 yards is going to be a real stretch for .22lr I'm not saying its not doable, but your results are going to get real wonky.
    I think practically speaking max effective range is what 150? Even at that distance, hitting consistently gets to be a chore.
    I personally have had luck out to about 125.

As for glass, you don't need top tier for a .22, Nikon, Vortex, Weaver.. etc.

I have a 10-22 with a cheap Simmons Whitetail 3x9 that is waaay OP for that gun but I can do reasonably well with.

YMMV of course.