Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Columbia County)

Default H&R .38 snub nose

I was given this gun about 20 years ago by my uncle. It is an H&R “The American Double Action” .38 snub nose 5 shot revolver. It was given to him by his in-laws after they closed their bar down. I was told they got it from a retired Harrisburg city police officer in the early 1950’s. Back at a time when a force would get new guns and each officer could keep the old one. I’m guessing he sold it to them for protection in the bar.
    Anyway, I did some research, I think this was a second model octagon barrel made between 1905 and 1941. I’m guessing by the S/N, 135556, it was made somewhere around the mid 1930’s?? It’s in decent shape, no pits, major damage, etc. there are some nicks on the barrel. It appears to be a bake-a-lite? grip but I’m not sure. I think there might be a piece missing on the right side, but I’m not 100% sure. I would like to know more about this, and the value. I’m moving out of state soon and cannot take it with me. I am a concealed carry holder in Pa, but not in Va where I’m moving.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: H&R .38 snub nose

Here is one example in 32: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856673144 sold for $155 and that is the high end for these it seems.

How does yours compare with the pictures?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lycoming County)

A picture would help a lot. Price varies on them. A functional one in 38 S&W could go anywhere from $125-200 depending on condition. These are notorious for going out of time, so that is a big factor.

(Columbia County)

Mine is identical to this one. I have photos, just not sure how to upload them here.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mwech View Post
    I was given this gun about 20 years ago by my uncle. It is an H&R “The American Double Action” .38 snub nose 5 shot revolver. It was given to him by his in-laws after they closed their bar down. I was told they got it from a retired Harrisburg city police officer in the early 1950’s. Back at a time when a force would get new guns and each officer could keep the old one. I’m guessing he sold it to them for protection in the bar.
    Anyway, I did some research, I think this was a second model octagon barrel made between 1905 and 1941. I’m guessing by the S/N, 135556, it was made somewhere around the mid 1930’s?? It’s in decent shape, no pits, major damage, etc. there are some nicks on the barrel. It appears to be a bake-a-lite? grip but I’m not sure. I think there might be a piece missing on the right side, but I’m not 100% sure. I would like to know more about this, and the value. I’m moving out of state soon and cannot take it with me. I am a concealed carry holder in Pa, but not in Va where I’m moving.
    Just curious, why can't you take it with you? I lived in VA. for almost thirty years, and I had several pistols, including a S&W 38sp revolver, 6" barrel that I never should have sold. I sold it in PA. And I didn't have a concealed carry permit in VA. In VA. you can have a pistol in a vehicle, as long as it is "secured" in a glove box, or center console, without the destination requirements of PA. And....it can be loaded!

http://www.virginialawoffice.com/blo...earm-in-my-car

(Columbia County)

I must have read the carry laws wrong. My ccp is valid in pa yet and I need to get in va once I switch my drivers license

You don't specify which .38 and with R L Suehr's post it brings to mind that many people don't realize that .38 S&W and .38 S&W Special are two vastly different cartridges and do not interchange. Make sure which your gun is chambered for and if you are brave enough to shoot it, make sure you buy the right one (standard velocity only).

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    You don't specify which .38 and with R L Suehr's post it brings to mind that many people don't realize that .38 S&W and .38 S&W Special are two vastly different cartridges and do not interchange. Make sure which your gun is chambered for and if you are brave enough to shoot it, make sure you buy the right one (standard velocity only).

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    an H&R from that period will always be a .38 s&W

(Jefferson County)

H&R never made a .38 S&W Special, it will always be .38 S&W.

Without pictures, we cannot judge condition to give value.

Serial numbers of guns before 1940 mean pretty much jack with H&R. Only from 1940 on until Remington bought H&R do they mean anything, example A = 1940, B = 1941, etc.

If the caliber was marked on the gun, it was a 1905 and later production, and proofed for smokeless. If no caliber stamping, it is 1904 and earlier rated only for black powder.

The "American Double Action" was made in (2) model eras, 1st Model 1884-1904, 2nd Model 1905-1941. A 1940 made gun will have an A at beginning of serial #, 1941 will have a B.

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL, (BLACK POWDER) Select Model
    .32, .38, or .44 cal., 5 (.38 or .44) or 6 (.32 cal.) shot, 2 1/2, 4 1/2, or 6 in. barrel, nickel (standard) or blue (rare) finish, pull pin cylinder release, marked on top strap "THE AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION", first variation has round barrel and nickel trigger guard with rear retaining pin offset to rear slightly (1884 only), second variation has round barrel and nickel trigger guard (1884-1887), third variation has octagon barrel and nickel trigger guard (1888-1897), fourth variation has octagon barrel, blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel (1898-1904). Mfg. 1884-1904.

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL (SMOKELESS POWDER) Select Model
    .32, .38, or .44 Webley (disc. 1921) cal., 5 (.38 or .44 cal.) or 6 (.32 cal.) shot, 2 1/2, 4 1/2, or 6 in. barrel, nickel or blue finish, pull pin cylinder release, the difference between First Model and Second Model is the caliber markings on the left side of the barrel, .44 Webley has a larger frame, after 1930 this model was listed in catalogs as: AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 60 .32 Caliber 6 shot, and AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 65 .38 Caliber 5 shot. Mfg. 1905-1941.

BTW - there is nothing in VA law that prohibits you from taking the gun to Virginia. You don't need a permit to own a gun, nor even to carry it openly.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!