Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
They get a photograph.

How do they turn that information into a registry? If they have someone type it in, like the PSP handles the Sales Registry, we're talking years of work. I've been told this by an FFL, but the PSP is five years behind right now. If you bought a handgun today we're talking five years before the PSP knows about it. True? I don't know.

Turn those images into digital information? That's a tough problem. I remember when Optical Character Recognition first came out. For printed text it's fine.

The ATF requires legible handwriting. People are better at reading handwriting than machines.

If they just put that pages into a book? How do they organize it?

OK. Let's assume perfect OCR. You wrote it, they read it.

How do they know you still have it? How do they reconcile a resale?

We're talking millions of transactions per month over millions of people. Some die. Some sell their guns. Some guns are stolen or given away.

The best method of a gun registry is the Brady Law. They have positive ID on you. They know you bought something. They send investigators to your home. We fought the Brady law for this reason. The ink on it was not dry before Janet Reno and Bill created "FIST" - Firearms Identification and Statistical Tracking. Created a map of purchasers.

I don't care for making things easier for a gun registry. This change isn't really necessary.

That being said, the biggest hurdles to a gun registry are already over. They got Form 4473s and they got the Brady Law.
No offense, but your a bit behind the times.

A.I. software only needs to see if for a fraction of a second.
They could install a camera into the feed chute of a paper shredder to 'scan' them as they destroy the hard copy(not that they ever would).
Sadly this tech is all to commonplace now. Most people dont understand that while its doing the job you want it to do, thats its doing a second job as well, monitoring you, and reporting findings back to the mothership.
I.e. A.I. security cams.