Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Montgomery County)

Default Should I stock up on more ammo..??

I’ve been shooting for about 6months.. I got the bug and quickly collected a few firearms and go to the range 4 or 5 x’s a month.. About a month ago I started accumulating some extra ammo... mostly 9mm at about .18 cents/round.... I see PSA now has Blazer Brass 9mm at $300/ 1000.. (.30/round)... I see that some cheaper 9mm is still available online(.20cents)...

do you experienced shooters believe that the +.30/round is the new normal..?? At what price would you buy as much as you could get..?.... will .25 cents/round seem like a killer deal in 6months..??

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Should I stock up on more ammo..??

It'll get relatively back to normal eventually. Just give it time.

That said, it will be a bit more expensive to shoot for a while. If you don't already have one, get a quality .22 pistol and continue to enjoy shooting at a much reduced cost.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

If you don't need the ammo right now I would wait for the prices to come back down.
    Prices for guns and ammo spike during a crisis, they will probably return to normal when the crisis is over.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Chester County)

I have a minimum amount of ammo on hand that I'm comfortable with. I usually have more than that amount. I don't let what I have on hand drop below that amount. When prices are normal, I try to buy in bulk quantities before I get near my minimum. In times like what we're dealing with now, I buy in smaller quantities to keep up with my usage unless I see the price trending upward at an accelerated rate. This is crystal ball stuff, but I go with my gut.

So far I don't see a supply problem like we had in 2013. In 2013, there was a panic that we'd never be able to buy the stuff again and people just kept buying and hoarding. This is different. Most seasoned gun owners have what makes them feel good and what we're seeing is an influx of new buyers and people just topping off their supplies. Supply chains are better stocked than they were 7 years ago.

We don't know what will happen tomorrow. How much ammo do you think you'll need if things where you live get stupid for a few weeks or months? For that, I have more than enough ammo. What happens though if the government gets really stupid and you choose to fight? Do you think that might actually happen? Only you know how much ammo is enough for you.

Another thing I do is to regularly buy some ammo from a local shop that moves tons of ammo every week. It is a little more expensive than buying by price online, but there is definitely a big upside to supporting a LGS that has a good supply line. When ammo got very in 2013, the local shop always took care of me. The prices were higher, but not by enough to make me stop shooting. I always had the ammo I was dialed in to for matches and self defense while maintaining my reserve. I will use cheap ammo that does not beat up my guns for fun plinking but do not tune my self defense or target guns for it.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Back when I was on the new side when Obama took office and ammo was hard to find, a local ffl said don't shoot more ammo than you can buy. I have made less store purchases since walmart kind of full-on went to the dark side, so I will expect to pay a little more these days for store purchases, even before this "epidemic. "

It sounds like you did well with planning ahead without knowing it, given the panic now.

(Northumberland County)

Bass Pro and others had brass 9mm around $.20/round, plus takes Active Junky for small rebate. Worth keeping an eye on the deals thread if you're not already...lots of good info there. Price is in the eye of the beholder...if you need it and don't want to reduce usage, it is what it is. When Obama was in office, ammo shortages lasted a few years. This time around, I don't foresee it going that long, but no one knows for sure. Most purchasing this time is not by established shooters (most learned from mistakes under Obama), so out of stocks and prices may improve faster.

(Juniata County)

The answer is yes, but now may not be the time.

I believe the forum consensus is to keep a minimum of a life time supply on hand.

Not to count what you would need for emergencies, such as the boogaloo, or other contingencies.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Carbon County)

put it in your budget to buy some ammo every month.

you don't need to buy a lot

eventually, you'll have a good supply

Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Prices may go down depending on the timeline of the virus. But keep in mind that if this goes on for a bit........and it looks like Trump might lose......or given time does not get re-elected then we haven’t seen anything yet.

If Biden or another Democrat gets elected prices will skyrocket and availability will get much worse imo.

Yes, you should definitely always stock up ammo during the good times. Now is not a good time, however, unless you're sitting on a large stash, you should still buy if you can.

The thing is, good times are fleeting. In 2006, my wife and her father we heading to a sporting goods store. I gave her a hundred dollar bill and asked her to pick up 5 bricks of .22LR (they returned with change!). My father in law asked what I was going to do with all that ammo.

Fast forward a few years, we're now in the Obama administration, and my father in law can't find .22LR. I handed him two of those same bricks and said "I'm going to give it to my father in law." He knew exactly what I was referring to.

Now, when I say the good times are fleeting, I did not see .22LR pricing come back down to the level it was in 2006 until 2019-ish (note: I'm in PRNY, so we had another ammo run after the SAFE act). We're talking 13 years to return to "good times" - that are now gone again for god knows how long.

So, I think my overall advice is to always stock up, but stock up more when it's cheaper. Once you reach the hallowed "lifetime supply" level that we all strive for, then you can pick and choose when to buy ammo.

I also recommend watching Rural King for .50 cal ammo cans. They're not milsurp, they're Chinese-made new - but they work very well. They go on sale for around $9 a can once or twice a year. I usually buy 6-12 a year and make it my goal to fill the cans.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast