Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Should I stock up on more ammo..??

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    A real good time to become a reloader !
    even those supplies are drying up in some places

(Chester County)

Pick one gun that you will be your home defense weapon and keep as much ammo as you can for that. Then when prices come back down again prepare for the next media driven hoax by stocking up for your other guns too.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

I am curious now......What is the cheapest prices you guys have seen in say the last 10 years.?... seems the Lowest I have paid is about .18 for 9mm and .33 for .223... does is it get much lower?. (without reloading)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post
    I am curious now......What is the cheapest prices you guys have seen in say the last 10 years.?... seems the Lowest I have paid is about .18 for 9mm and .33 for .223... does is it get much lower?. (without reloading)
    Doubtful. The prices before the CV pandemic were at over a 15 year low.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post
    while people didnt like it walmart selling off their inventory let me get brass cased 223/5.56 for .18. 223 steel case was going for as low as .17-18 before all of this. when its on sale at a good price i buy in bulk

When Walmart announced it would stop selling most ammo and started selling off their inventory the shelves were full. Some stuff was also attractively priced in my area just so they could get rid of it. Picked up a couple bricks of .22's for around $18 and some Federal 9mm brass range ammo for about $7 for 50.

It's not there anymore.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    When Walmart announced it would stop selling most ammo and started selling off their inventory the shelves were full. Some stuff was also attractively priced in my area just so they could get rid of it. Picked up a couple bricks of .22's for around $18 and some Federal 9mm brass range ammo for about $7 for 50.

It's not there anymore.
    .22 is still fully available, they just run closeouts randomly to bulk up on another brand bulk pack for awhile. I just picked up 2 bricks at walmart last week of winchester for $16.97.
    I miss paying a penny a round

(Northumberland County)

Black Friday 2018, Federal Black Pack 1600 rounds of 22lr was stupid cheap....and then never again. IIRC, worked out to about $11-12 per 500 after rebate. Cheapest I've seen since mid 2000s.

(Berks County)

I recall buying Wolf Gold .223 for $300/1000 shipped at one point.

Some 9mm 115gr was recently like $160/1000 shipped, but I'm pretty much only buying subsonic now.

(Chester County)

I have a minimum amount of ammo on hand that I'm comfortable with. I usually have more than that amount. I don't let what I have on hand drop below that amount. When prices are normal, I try to buy in bulk quantities before I get near my minimum. In times like what we're dealing with now, I buy in smaller quantities to keep up with my usage unless I see the price trending upward at an accelerated rate. This is crystal ball stuff, but I go with my gut.

So far I don't see a supply problem like we had in 2013. In 2013, there was a panic that we'd never be able to buy the stuff again and people just kept buying and hoarding. This is different. Most seasoned gun owners have what makes them feel good and what we're seeing is an influx of new buyers and people just topping off their supplies. Supply chains are better stocked than they were 7 years ago.

We don't know what will happen tomorrow. How much ammo do you think you'll need if things where you live get stupid for a few weeks or months? For that, I have more than enough ammo. What happens though if the government gets really stupid and you choose to fight? Do you think that might actually happen? Only you know how much ammo is enough for you.

Another thing I do is to regularly buy some ammo from a local shop that moves tons of ammo every week. It is a little more expensive than buying by price online, but there is definitely a big upside to supporting a LGS that has a good supply line. When ammo got very in 2013, the local shop always took care of me. The prices were higher, but not by enough to make me stop shooting. I always had the ammo I was dialed in to for matches and self defense while maintaining my reserve. I will use cheap ammo that does not beat up my guns for fun plinking but do not tune my self defense or target guns for it.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast