Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 54 of 113 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
    Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Default Re: PA Counties locked down

I understand that the government overstepped its authority with the lockdown orders, but people are getting crazy.

You refuse to wear a mask because a trans-sexual Democrat suggested it? You probably wear a seatbelt that the government mandates. And you pay taxes. And get a drivers license. And send your kids to public school.

But wear a piece of cloth over your face that might help you stay healthy? Nope, that’s a bridge too far.

Why not take that energy and do something productive with it, like call the capital and spend five minutes talking to each of your reps and the governors office. Tell them how you feel about their actions, shutdowns and gun laws.

The guy at Giant or Walmart just wants his paycheck and to go home to his family. Give him a break.

Personally, I’m ok looking strange wearing a mask until someone smarter than Fauci tells me this is all over.

(Bucks County)

i'm kinda digging the mask thing. first off, I get to perpetually feel like i'm robbing a liquor store, and, moreover, I get to avoid seeing what people look like.

when it comes to chick at the grocery store, that 5 might be able to pull of a 9 with a mask on, so, I think it has merits.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    i'm kinda digging the mask thing. first off, I get to perpetually feel like i'm robbing a liquor store, and, moreover, I get to avoid seeing what people look like.

when it comes to chick at the grocery store, that 5 might be able to pull of a 9 with a mask on, so, I think it has merits.
    Yeah, and with a mask on, when somebody pisses you off you can silently mouth the words, "F--k you!", and the person in question never knows you're even addressing them.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I dont know how much longer I can wear this t-shirt neck over my mouth. We look like the land
    of stupid while the swamp politicians are laughing at us.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by jesemd View Post
    I understand that the government overstepped its authority with the lockdown orders, but people are getting crazy.

You refuse to wear a mask because a trans-sexual Democrat suggested it? You probably wear a seatbelt that the government mandates. And you pay taxes. And get a drivers license. And send your kids to public school.

But wear a piece of cloth over your face that might help you stay healthy? Nope, that’s a bridge too far.

Why not take that energy and do something productive with it, like call the capital and spend five minutes talking to each of your reps and the governors office. Tell them how you feel about their actions, shutdowns and gun laws.

The guy at Giant or Walmart just wants his paycheck and to go home to his family. Give him a break.

Personally, I’m ok looking strange wearing a mask until someone smarter than Fauci tells me this is all over.
    While I personally hate wearing a mask, I agree with this message. When private businesses are requiring it there isn't much you can do. Don't take your anger out on the employees doing their job. It's way more awkward for them to have to enforce it than it is for someone to try and defy it.

Show up at Harrisburg on June 8 and show your frustration with Wolf.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    While I personally hate wearing a mask, I agree with this message. When private businesses are requiring it there isn't much you can do. Don't take your anger out on the employees doing their job. It's way more awkward for them to have to enforce it than it is for someone to try and defy it.
    I completely agree. The kid who refused me entry to a store when this idiotic requirement first started didn't have the option to do otherwise.* There's no point in taking it out on such a person. It's not their fault, and they have no say in the matter. In fact, it's counter-productive to create bad feelings.

My wife is a nurse. They were given special training about COVID-19. One key point she told me about is that fabric masks are totally useless in protecting against the virus. And even if you do have an effective mask and use gloves, it's so easy to make them useless via your actions that almost no one is actually protected by them. (You have to be intensely careful about what you touch when you have gloves on, and you even have to be careful about how you take them off.) It's effectively security theater to make people feel safe, not actual protection. All it does is create social barriers and psychological harm to just about everyone.

* I didn't know it had started and I didn't even have a mask I could use. I did order one, but it took about 3 weeks to arrive. Fortunately, a restaurant gave me one that let me do what I needed to do.
    No more signature 'cause it's 2020

(Butler County)

Isn't everything we're here fighting over about "feelings" anymore though? That's the entire problem with society today.

and on that topic, check out this write up from the Trib regarding Wolf telling us how to feel regarding returning to sports:
    https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...vpSKFvVLnVO1BQ

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I dont know how much longer I can wear this t-shirt neck over my mouth. We look like the land
    of stupid while the swamp politicians are laughing at us.
    images1111.jpg

(Chester County)

The mask is a symbol of fear and control. Flatten the fear and stop wearing masks.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

WSJ Article Today:
    Simple-minded folk, incapable of understanding the subtleties of science and economics, need a clear narrative to guide them through the complexity of the national lockdown debate. Fortunately, the usual wise heads in the media have been here all along to provide an easily understood moral fable, complete with its own cast of villains and heroes.

If you say the lockdown has gone on too long, that you want to return to some possibility of ever having a livelihood again, you’re a science-denying troglodyte, an antisocial hedonist, who will crawl over the bodies of sick children and dying grandparents to get to that restaurant so you can fill your face from the all-you-can-eat barbecue. Or you’re a greedy, profit-before-people capitalist, desperate to get your employees back into the workhouse so you can go back to exploiting them, with the added potential benefit that they might get sick and die.

If you support the continued lockdown, you’re an enlightened, science-following humanitarian. You can’t help it, but you just love people (well, some people) and want them to live. You put the interests of the vulnerable in society above things like nice dinners and vacations. You always listen respectfully to the experts.

The anti-lockdown people are the beer-soaked jerks partying on beaches in Florida. They’re the red hat-wearing, hairy-palmed bigots screaming obscenities through a glass door in Ohio. They’re the conspiracy theorists framing reasoned public health guidance as the latest sinister efforts by the “deep state” to control our minds.

The stay-the-course types are the hardworking (and still employed) officials in government and international organizations simply doing their altruistic duty. They’re the (still employed) teachers, putting the interests of their students above grubbier considerations like whether those students might ever get a job. They’re the (still employed, for now) all-knowing media commentators whose recently acquired expertise in epidemiology has been derived from Twitter and who are graciously willing to share it with the rest of us.

The narrative also applies—surprise!—to our political geography. The governors of Democratic states are devoted father and mother figures, shepherding their ignorant flocks with a mix of unchallengeable science and homespun wisdom. Governors of Republican states are (in some oddly bifurcated version I haven’t grasped yet) both half-wits who refuse to listen to medical experts and, at the same time, dastardly Machiavellian schemers, knowing that continued economic paralysis is going to doom them—and their patron, the quack-remedy-touting guy in the White House—at the polls.

Open up the economy too soon, we’re told, and watch the hospitals fill and the bodies pile up, thanks to the mindless decisions of science-denying, heartless conservatives. Well, many states have indeed now opened up large parts of their economy. The results must be truly grim. Let’s check.

Georgia lifted its most stringent restrictions on May 1. How are they doing? Plague hospitals overwhelmed? Bodies piled up in the streets? Not quite. Preliminary data suggest that the number of new daily cases has halved since May 1. Average daily deaths dropped from 36 on May 1 to seven this week.

Ah, the narrative quickly pivots: But Georgia is a relatively small, sparsely populated state. What about Florida, a big populous place, a destination people flock to from all over, a viral stew of lethal scale—surely, absolute carnage down there? In Florida, daily deaths from the virus peaked on April 28. Since then the figure has declined by almost 50%.

The story is the same or similar in most of the states that have opened up. These governors didn’t just take a reckless gamble. Apparently they used science and data and economics too—who knew? They recognized that once the virus has passed its greatest lethality, the balance of risks shifts. The benefits of the shutdown look increasingly out of proportion to its costs.

It’s early days still. Perhaps the data will change. Perhaps the great reopening may yet falter as the virus returns. There are different circumstances in different states that may demand differing responses. But that’s the point, in a way. The truth is complicated; there’s so much about this virus we don’t know. Getting the balance between economic and health risks right is hard.

It’s not a simple moral story of Science versus Ignorance, of Right versus Wrong. But that wouldn’t really fit the narrative, would it?

Page 54 of 113 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast