Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Out of Work? What Can you Do. Want to help? What do you need done?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Streaker:
    Are you rebuilding laptop battery packs?

Have you done much work on Chromebooks? i.e. converting from Chrome OS to Linux?
    I just got the thing, I haven't rebuilt any packs yet. I haven't even touched a Chrome OS, but unless they did something really funky in the BIOS, you should be able to install Linux on it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...inux+OS/108259
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I just got the thing, I haven't rebuilt any packs yet. I haven't even touched a Chrome OS, but unless they did something really funky in the BIOS, you should be able to install Linux on it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...inux+OS/108259
    You have to dissect the Chromebook and remove the motherboard, and remove a write-protection screw from the hard drive. That is the part that makes me nervous. Bricking it is a real risk.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    You have to dissect the Chromebook and remove the motherboard, and remove a write-protection screw from the hard drive. That is the part that makes me nervous.
    Ahh, I figured there was something strange with it. I'm guessing it doesn't have a regular drive, but maybe an SSD?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Ahh, I figured there was something strange with it. I'm guessing it doesn't have a regular drive, but maybe an SSD?
    Yes, SSD. That is the big advantage of it. Super long battery life. I want it LInux so I can use it to reprogram my Baofengs while I am off-grid.

(Bucks County)

Are there any electricians looking for work in the Yardley/Morrisville area? I have been working in my kitchen and have 2 outlets that need to be repaired. I'm sure it's not hard for someone knowing what they are doing, but electricity and I are not good for each other.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Are there any electricians looking for work in the Yardley/Morrisville area? I have been working in my kitchen and have 2 outlets that need to be repaired. I'm sure it's not hard for someone knowing what they are doing, but electricity and I are not good for each other.
    The fixed cost of getting an electrician out there to do that job is gonna rock ya. I don't know what needs fixed but I could replace two outlets in less than 15 minutes. However, electrical work is one thing that I will only do for myself, not others.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I have been working in my kitchen and have 2 outlets that need to be repaired.
    Outlets don't get repaired , they get replaced. They're fairly cheap. There's even diagrams in the box.

Turn power off.
    Remove 2 cover plate screws.
    Remove 2 screws holding outlet in box.
    Loosen 3 screws holding wires. Green is ground. Black wire is hot and goes to brass colored screws. White is neutral and goes to silver colored screws. I always put a couple wraps of black electrical tape around outlet body , over screws.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Outlets don't get repaired , they get replaced. They're fairly cheap. There's even diagrams in the box.

Turn power off.
    Remove 2 cover plate screws.
    Remove 2 screws holding outlet in box.
    Loosen 3 screws holding wires. Green is ground. Black wire is hot and goes to brass colored screws. White is neutral and goes to silver colored screws. I always put a couple wraps of black electrical tape around outlet body , over screws.
    I'm sorry I should clarify. I did replace the outlets and they still don't work. I checked the circuit breakers, and that isn't it. I tried replacing with gfi's and regular outlets. Hey, it made sense to me, but I'm not an electrician. So at this point I think the circuit/s need to be tested and something done. Thank you for the replies.

(Berks County)

I'm sorry I should clarify. I did replace the outlets and they still don't work. I checked the circuit breakers, and that isn't it. I tried replacing with gfi's and regular outlets. Hey, it made sense to me, but I'm not an electrician. So at this point I think the circuit/s need to be tested and something done. Thank you for the replies.
    Aaaaa ok, that sounds a little more troublesome. They aren't on a switch are they?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

No they aren't. I did check for that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast