Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV5army

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Baofeng UV5army

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Congrats! Where did you test?
    I also passed my Technician exam with CUARC this evening. Printed my CSCE and put it on display it on the refrigerator.
    Congratulations, welcome to the club of licensed operators

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Calzonewdippingsauce View Post
    Nice, how are they holding up?
    well, anyone who knows me knows I'm rough, real rough on those little whip Comets and MFJsI think I went through 4 in 2 years. The Abbree has been both a solid performer, less stress on the connector, and sturdy. I also like I can unscrew the antenna portion and change it for a different length without impacting the mount portion. We started the SAR team Comms section evaluating these last October, and while the comments on the longer ones being unwieldy for K9 handlers, the performance has been better than most anything we've tested. We'd still like more field time with them, but since the lockdown prevents us from having trainings, It'll still be months before we have the level of Data I am after.

On a personal note, I LOVE the 38" clipped on the back of my belt, with a hand mike to the radio, now the antenna clears about 3" over my head and is not body blocked.

callsign KC3HFS.
    I'll listen for that, you visit the Lebanon 315 repeater much?

(York County)

I have the Lebanon repeater programmed in my mobile i believe, my QTH is in Hanover and can't hit it from there, but when I am up in the Hershey area at my part time job im in range. Ill throw my call out the next time im up that way!

(Philadelphia County)

Congratulations to those that passed.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Montgomery County)

No luck making any contacts so far but I've just tried once or twice on the 2M and 70CM calling frequencies. I'm just using a stock UV5R from inside though so I'm probably not getting great range.

(Mercer County)

Find out who operates the local repeaters within 20 or so miles (if you live in a flat area shoot for 30 or 40). Many clubs operate the repeaters. Once you know the clubs, check their website/FB page to find out when they do their nets. Some clubs do daily nets, some do weekly. They are typically in the evening between 7:30 and 9:00.

It gets interesting when you actually hear things. I studied to pass the test and got my tech license as a good little compliant prepper does. I listened at the wrong times, didn't know where to listen (frequencies) didn't hear anything, got frustrated and put the radio down..for 1.5 years.

Then I decided to really learn, use the radio, and get into ham radio. I now have a base rig and I can reach 50 miles on 2 meter. Also with a tech license you have voice privileges on 10m HF. I got an HF rig and my first contact on 10 meters was a guy in the Dominican Republic..I was stoked. But I learned 10Meters is not exactly the best for long distance (sun spot thing). So now I have a proper antenna for the other HF bands and can hear all sorts of radio traffic. Can't transmit because I don't have my general license..but I can listen.

To find clubs check out ARRL and or just internet search the surrounding county names with ham radio or amateur radio.

http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

Definitely find your local club. When things open up, monthly meeting will start again. Experienced Ham radio operators (Elmers) are very positive and supportive of newbies..as long as you do your part to learn and have interest.
    Last edited by PA_Robert; May 20th, 2020 at 10:42 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Ok, so I tried messing around to program a repeater.

I was in VFO mode and went to the repeater transmit frequency. (Granted I'm mostly just getting static from this repeater while listening, but I selected it cause it has no tone and I'm keeping programming as simple as possible for now)
    Menu - Select Offset
    Menu - Select + SFT-D

I transmitted a test and see I am transmitting on the correct frequency (repeater transmit frequency + the positive offset I input). I was then able to save this into a memory channel.

My question is, now when I am in frequency mode, on ANY frequency, I see a "+" above the frequency. It seems I have saved the positive offset onto ALL frequencies. Is that so? If yes, how do I correct this so it only applies to the repeater frequency I was trying to program?

Thanks all for the help.
    Last edited by PA86; May 21st, 2020 at 01:14 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Calzonewdippingsauce View Post
    I have the Lebanon repeater programmed in my mobile i believe, my QTH is in Hanover and can't hit it from there, but when I am up in the Hershey area at my part time job im in range. Ill throw my call out the next time im up that way!
    The downside of posting your call publicly, anyone can find your QTH. Anyway, Hanover Repeater is a good one, I can hit it from my Driveway in the truck (with a mobile), Down in your area the 315 repeater hits some terrain masking but can often be hit into Gettysburg. Anyway, I'll be listening for your call.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    No luck making any contacts so far but I've just tried once or twice on the 2M and 70CM calling frequencies. I'm just using a stock UV5R from inside though so I'm probably not getting great range.
    Lots of areas in that region are RF Sinkholes and need an external antenna. Reach out to WB2OOB@ARRL.net (I think he still uses that email) Ron is one of the guys who elmered me early on, and done my Boot Camp. He's in your neighborhood, probably just yell out your window "CQ CQ WB2OOB" and he'll answer. The Camden 146.820 repeater may be one of the most active in your area if you can hit it.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Ok, so I tried messing around to program a repeater.

I was in VFO mode and went to the repeater transmit frequency. (Granted I'm mostly just getting static from this repeater while listening, but I selected it cause it has no tone and I'm keeping programming as simple as possible for now)
    Menu - Select Offset
    Menu - Select + SFT-D

I transmitted a test and see I am transmitting on the correct frequency (repeater transmit frequency + the positive offset I input). I was then able to save this into a memory channel.

My question is, now when I am in frequency mode, on ANY frequency, I see a "+" above the frequency. It seems I have saved the positive offset onto ALL frequencies. Is that so? If yes, how do I correct this so it only applies to the repeater frequency I was trying to program?

Thanks all for the help.

You would have to check each memory separately to ensure you are on the correct offset. In VFO mode, it's a binary thing, either + or - and you have to change it, think of VFO as a program as you go, unless you save it to memory, the next one you set wipes out the previous setting. In addition to the offset, remember you'll also need to set the PL tone, with out the PL tone, you will not be able to key up the repeater.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast