Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV5army

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Baofeng UV5army

Cross posting this from the commo thread:

I am DEEPLY disturbed with MANY people in this thread. Better than the cutting the barrel analogy, when someone comes to you asking how to carry with out a license, what is your response? Do you offer to make a home made throwaway holster, or say GET YOUR LICENSE??? Yet that's what you're advocating for and impacting people who leverage these tools in a legal manner. It's incidents like what is being talked about here that have caused this:

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-cites-b...zed-rf-devices
    and
    https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-ju...ort-answer-no/

I'm imploring you to stop being a hypocrite and help the new guys do it correctly and legally.

thanks

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    so would you trust your life on a $25 Jenkins? How about a rubber band instead of a CAT-T? Will it get the job done? Yes, but it is as big a danger of letting you down when you need it most as is it of helping you.
    Think of this as my Marlin .22 for getting the fundamentals down before buying a Larue. Make sense now?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Think of this as my Marlin .22 for getting the fundamentals down before buying a Larue. Make sense now?
    I Do, I'm also one of the few hams who will advocate for use of the Baofeng by new operators. I even have programmed over 100 of the little buggers (did 8 last weekend alone). Thing is, think of it this way. Like NJ and Ill, before you can touch a firearm, you need an FOID, right? In this case before you can start to learn, you need a license, be it Ham or GMRS, and then you need the right equipment. I'm trying to help you and all the other new guys, to doing this legally and correctly so you don't run afoul and wind up being unable to get your ticket.

Does that make sense now?

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

I apologize in advance for stupid questions, but recent events got me thinking about this.

1. Is a license only required to transmit? I assume this is the case and the FCC just decided that if you own a radio capable of transmitting you are assumed guilty?

2. Is there a equivalent device under $100 that is monitoring only? If so, can anyone recommend one and does it really need a huge antenna to be worthwhile?

With these answered, I will be happy to dive in and learn, but i wanted to make sure of the above and didn't know where to start.

Thanks

(Chester County)

theshadow are you a VE ?

(Clinton County)

If you want to monitor frequencies only, in chirp just set the duplex to "off" so you don't even accidentally transmit and change the setting if needed for an emergency transmission use.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jesemd View Post
    I apologize in advance for stupid questions, but recent events got me thinking about this.

1. Is a license only required to transmit? I assume this is the case and the FCC just decided that if you own a radio capable of transmitting you are assumed guilty?
    Yes but I fear the FCC the least out of all alpha agencies.
    2. Is there a equivalent device under $100 that is monitoring only? If so, can anyone recommend one and does it really need a huge antenna to be worthwhile?
    Can't answer that one for you but I suspect that you can. The Baofeng would work. And you can listen through the interwebs on sites like this, they will also give you a glimpse into how the radios are used.
    With these answered, I will be happy to dive in and learn, but i wanted to make sure of the above and didn't know where to start.
    Thanks
    I find that there is a lot to it, more than I expected, there is a lot to take in.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Technically, yes, but only do it once or twice a year to keep my certification.

(Lebanon County)

Thanks
    There is a configuration in Chirp, under other settings, uhf tx and vhf tx, if you remove those checks, the radio will not transmit, and is recieve only. You can be presumed guilty, but the fcc would need to prove it was you who transmitted.

You do not need a huge antenna to recieve, the higher up the better reception, yes, but a high gain antenna is much better than the one that came in the box.

Another option I encourage, look at craig's list, yard sales, you can often find old analog scanners that "don't work" because they don't recive the digital stuff. They still work great for many scanning options and go real cheap, I got one thrown in free for buying something else, trick was on them, i was more interested in the scanner than the rocking chair.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks
    1) You dont need a license to listen That is all I do with mine as I just have not had the time to study the manual and take the test. Someday I will go to one of the all day classes if I ever find one after all the dust settles.

CHIRP takes a bit of getting used to, but its not that hard to program.
    I find that the HAM frequencies are very uninteresting. When you find HAMs talking (over repeaters) they are usually sticking to technical talk, locations, equipment setups, weather etc. I have all the local county Fire/EMS dispatches programmed, as well some local businesses that interest me. Police bands are not able to be monitored on a BoaFeng UV-5r

2) You can try an SDR or software defines radio. It is basically a USB dongle that connects your computer to an antenna and operates as a receiver. Depending on your antenna you can (in theory) listed to the entire radio spectrum.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast