Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV5army

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Baofeng UV5army

"uv-82 the same chip in a different shell?"

Maybe, probably not. The way these are made even two uv5's can be different, especially the firmware.

When using Chip always download a file from the radio first, even if it's brand new and empty. Don't use that file for any other radio. You can save the information and import that, just not the file.

It has to do with where each version stores information in the radio. Mismatched file and you can brick the radio.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    i've got two questions.
    1) was thinking about adding a uv-82 to compliment my uv5, not sure if i should or just stick to the same model i already have, or even add a new brand. any benefits to others? uv-82 the same chip in a different shell?
    also
    2) local police seem to have a radio or two that make a sonar ping when they tx instead of the typical scratch noise. any idea what that is? my understanding is the first noise is data, like my radio identifier code. never heard this before though, a single PING then the officer's speech.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

i've got two questions.
    1) was thinking about adding a uv-82 to compliment my uv5, not sure if i should or just stick to the same model i already have, or even add a new brand. any benefits to others? uv-82 the same chip in a different shell?
    also
    2) local police seem to have a radio or two that make a sonar ping when they tx instead of the typical scratch noise. any idea what that is? my understanding is the first noise is data, like my radio identifier code. never heard this before though, a single PING then the officer's speech.
    I don't know much about this stuff but I've been doing some reading, mostly so I don't sound like a complete moron when I ask Streak to fix my stuff...
    My understanding is that trunking technology is vast, various, and forever changing, and I would imagine there will be an endless conga line of tonal variations throughout.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lebanon County)

i've got two questions.

I can take this one, this is a Motorola thing (there are other brands that do it but they started it). As you suspect it IS a radio ID code. When Programming the radio it is assigned an ID, usually in an organization, it'll be like CHIEF94 DEP94, OFF321 etc. Some HAMS have older radios and reprogrammed them for HAM use, and in that case they'll have their call sign as the radio designation. The Harrisburg Area Skywarn group is heavily influenced by Motorola lovers and the storm chasers rely on that to help if it's a marginal signal.

interesting, i figured it was motorola.
    so harrisburg's skywarn transmits their identifier as a ping? that's cool.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lebanon County)

interesting, i figured it was motorola.
    so harrisburg's skywarn transmits their identifier as a ping? that's cool.
    Just a couple of the guys, two of the Net Control guys, and two of the spotters are heavy invested in Motorola radios, Chris was cool enough to program a 1250 for me (it's one of two Motorola that were "donated to the cause" that landed in my bag). It is cool seeing the talker's ID pop up on the display, in case you miss the call when they toss it out, or you don't recognize the voice. 145.11 pl 123.0 is something everyone in South Central PA should monitor during severe weather, State College NOA is on frequency with the spotters, that's where some storms get upgraded and watches and warns issued based on ground truth. These guys are real weather geeks.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    While it's not public interaction, home stations only, we're going to have a lot more fun doing 13 Colonies http://www.13colonies.us/.
    We're the bonus station.
    Just worked you guys on 6M FT8.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Philadelphia County)

All-right, have you gotten any of the others?
    I'm trying to work PSK but between dead bands and everybody going to FT8 have not hade much success.
    Still five days to go.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    All-right, have you gotten any of the others?
    I'm trying to work PSK but between dead bands and everybody going to FT8 have not hade much success.
    Still five days to go.
    I love this game, but right now al I have working is 6 and 2 FT8, SSB and CW. Maybe I'll be the first to do it that way?
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Lebanon County)

For those interested I've confirmed, LVSRA will be testing on Saturday at Heisey's Diner on RT 72 North of Lebanon starting between 7:30 and 8, running till around 9 or a little later. If you're interested in getting your ham license, this is one opportunity.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast