Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV5army

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Baofeng UV5army

Is it ok to leave the radio on while in the cradle charging?

If I just want to have it on during the day as a scanner until I actually get a mobile or base unit.
    Last edited by PA86; May 29th, 2020 at 09:12 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

It's not recommended. Battery will not get a full charge. That's from the manual.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Is it ok to leave the radio on while in the cradle charging?

If I just want to have it on during the day as a scanner until I actually get a mobile or base unit.
    charge it overnight. I get more than a day on the battery when just scanning. Still I am considering a second battery

(Centre County)

Ok, Here goes. I didn't read all 16 pages in their entirety, but I went ahead and got a UV-5R. I have CHIRP loaded on my computer but with all the "language" (acronyms, etc.) on this thread and the COMM thread, I wonder if I'm in over my head.

I'm now searching for a local group (I'm in the sticks here in State College compared to the bigger cities) but I'm sure I'll happen upon 1 or 2. Would like to get the Technician license. For now, I'd just like to get my radio set up so I can at least listen.

Talked to Mr.Gixxer and we're going to try to get together so he can start teaching me but would it not behoove the group to maybe have a Saturday or Sunday get together where some of the experienced guys can explain things to new, novice people.

I might be an old dog, but I'd like to learn some new tricks.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

I had a guy show me how to upload and download the radio and explain a couple of things to me and set up a couple of local repeaters. Then I studied the info he put into my radio and compared it to the published information for those towers and figured out how to program for other repeaters. I'm easily overwhelmed by this kind of stuff so a group session would have killed me. YMMV
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Ok, Here goes. I didn't read all 16 pages in their entirety, but I went ahead and got a UV-5R. I have CHIRP loaded on my computer but with all the "language" (acronyms, etc.) on this thread and the COMM thread, I wonder if I'm in over my head.

I'm now searching for a local group (I'm in the sticks here in State College compared to the bigger cities) but I'm sure I'll happen upon 1 or 2. Would like to get the Technician license. For now, I'd just like to get my radio set up so I can at least listen.

Talked to Mr.Gixxer and we're going to try to get together so he can start teaching me but would it not behoove the group to maybe have a Saturday or Sunday get together where some of the experienced guys can explain things to new, novice people.

I might be an old dog, but I'd like to learn some new tricks.
    This is an excellent idea. I would recommend, reaching out to your local ham club, most have what's referred to as an "Elmer" or mentor program, where an experience individual works with you or sets up a study group to assist your learning. Please let me know if you can't find a club in your area, I can help you. Also remember not all clubs are the same, like any organization, you may have to search a little to find one you're comfortable with.

(Philadelphia County)

Start your search here;
    http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

I'd use ZIP rather than city, it give a broader response.

There are other ways, and not all clubs are ARRL affiliated, it's a start.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Start your search here;
    http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

I'd use ZIP rather than city, it give a broader response.

There are other ways, and not all clubs are ARRL affiliated, it's a start.
    Already have the ARRL site bookmarked. Went there first and put in my zip and it didn't kick out any results. Just did it again and used the State College zip and it gave me a lot of places. Saved the one I'm most interested in and will contact them to see what is going on during the "pandemic". One of the services offered did show "Repeater". Have the guys phone number so will call him to see if they can help school me.

I WILL learn how to use what I bought.

Just
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Already have the ARRL site bookmarked. Went there first and put in my zip and it didn't kick out any results. Just did it again and used the State College zip and it gave me a lot of places. Saved the one I'm most interested in and will contact them to see what is going on during the "pandemic". One of the services offered did show "Repeater". Have the guys phone number so will call him to see if they can help school me.

I WILL learn how to use what I bought.

Just
    also on the 27th and 28th is field day, see if any of those clubs you are interested in have an event planned and then visit them. Best opportunity to get face time, and see other equipment.
    Last edited by theshadow; June 15th, 2020 at 04:42 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Unfortunately most of Field Day is out the window this year. You might be able to find a small group.
    Shame, FD is a good way to see and participate.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast