Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Not your neighbor, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    5633369

    Default Out of state long gun sale

    I am struggling to find the laws on a particular topic. A very close friend of mine wants to buy an extra long gun I have.

    I am obviously in PA. But he has recently moved to MD.

    We both want to do this the LEGAL way. He has already done some of the requirements to own a firearm in that horrific state.

    How do I Legally let him take possession of a long gun?
    If the Internet says it, then it must be true.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,319
    Rep Power
    21474861

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    An FFL in ANY state can facilitate a legal transfer. Of course, you must be there in person.
    Attention NRA Life and voting members - LPRGCFRANK running for NRA board of directors

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,763
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    Send it to an FFL in his state.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Not your neighbor, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    5633369

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    An FFL in ANY state can facilitate a legal transfer. Of course, you must be there in person.
    So we can do it here in PA. MD law has a cooldown period of 7 days. Idk if that I'd just handguns or long guns too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    2,738
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    So we can do it here in PA. MD law has a cooldown period of 7 days. Idk if that I'd just handguns or long guns too.
    You will need to find out. A long gun transfer can be completed thru a FFL in either state, but must comply with the rules of both. This is a Federal law. If MD has a waiting period the best way is to send it to or meet him at a MD FFL who can do the hold, and do the paperwork, not a PA FFL who likely will not want to deal with a holding period. There may be FFLs close to the border on either side that will do this.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
    (Carbon County)
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    607974

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    Tell your buddy to find an FFL that will do it and accept a copy of your drivers license when you ship the gun to the FFL holder. I have bought guns on line from non-FFL holders all the time. Just make sure what ever you have is legal in his area. As for "Holding" a gun, any FFL Dealer is legal doing that. The dealer I use does it all the time until people get around to picking them up. He is an x cop and very strict with the laws.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    18,994
    Rep Power
    21474868

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    The firearm must also be legal in the recipient's home state for him to receive it there, or take it home after a PA FFL transfer. Otherwise the firearm must stay in PA.


    Example: If MD has an assault weapon ban, and the firearm is an AR15 that isn't in whatever legal configuration that MD may allow, it cannot go with him to MD. He can still purchase HERE, but would need to remain out of MD.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

    Don't end up in my signature!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Not your neighbor, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    5633369

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    Yea, turns out after he did all the hoops and bs, Found out the state doesn't allow scary black rifles. Which I didnt know either.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Littlestown, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)
    Age
    66
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    5232971

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The firearm must also be legal in the recipient's home state for him to receive it there, or take it home after a PA FFL transfer. Otherwise the firearm must stay in PA.


    Example: If MD has an assault weapon ban, and the firearm is an AR15 that isn't in whatever legal configuration that MD may allow, it cannot go with him to MD. He can still purchase HERE, but would need to remain out of MD.
    This is incorrect. Under Federal law, any long gun sale across state lines must go through an FFL with a background check. So far, so good. Then the sale must be legal in the state where the transaction takes place AND the buyer's state of residence. A "too evil for Maryland" rifle cannot be legally sold to any MD resident in any state. If your friend wants that rifle he will have to move to America first.
    O(ld) F(at) & U(gly)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Not your neighbor, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    5633369

    Default Re: Out of state long gun sale

    Quote Originally Posted by OF&U View Post
    This is incorrect. Under Federal law, any long gun sale across state lines must go through an FFL with a background check. So far, so good. Then the sale must be legal in the state where the transaction takes place AND the buyer's state of residence. A "too evil for Maryland" rifle cannot be legally sold to any MD resident in any state. If your friend wants that rifle he will have to move to America first.
    That's what told him. His job prohibits that. He understood but bummed out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Out of State "long gun" private sale question
    By bugout in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
  2. Purchasing a Long Gun in another state
    By MikeStull in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM
  4. FTF Long Gun Sale, out of state DL.
    By PittsburghOzzy in forum Rifles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
  5. How long does the State Police check take?
    By MostlyHarmless in forum General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •