Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lending a firearm out to a trusted friend.

Has anyone or would anyone consider lending a firearm out to a friend or neighbor who expressed not feeling safe or being unable to obtain one due to all the issues? I have a few friends that live in the neighborhood across the street none are anti gun they just never had the need or want for one. They all happen to be senior citizens as well in their late 60's to early 70's if that even matters.

We have checked in on them several times, they are all doing well and very stocked and prepared with food and other supplies before any of this nonsense went down. None of them have asked but it was something I was thinking about just in case this get's worse and they do bring it up one day.

Of course this is all assuming they are not a prohibited person.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 21st, 2020 at 12:36 AM.

Default Re: Lending a firearm out to a trusted friend.

I was thinking the same thing. Both of my brother in laws don't own any guns. One has shot a few times, the other would require some serious safety training. If it came up in conversation that they were looking for one I would offer them one of mine. There's a few guys I work with I would do the same. I don't much care about the legalities.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

I was under the impression you couldn't lend or leave a handgun with somebody in pa unless both of you were licensed to carry.
    I just assumed with long guns it was okay since you can sell them privately.

-Zach

(Franklin County)

Unless they possess a LTCF, it's not lawful to "lend" them a firearm - it's basically considered a "transfer" and requires the usual FFL process for such.

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsyl...apter-61/6115/
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

There is no way I would loan a gun to a friend or family member who had never handled one before.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I've seen the way some friends handle firearms and I wouldn't let them handle a salt shaker!

I have the mark of a bullet entrance and exit on my leg from one of them.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

I thought about this and would not lend a firearm to anyone other than a small group of close friends. That same group already has what they need and know how to use it. It's the know how to use it that give me the answer. There is much to having a gun for self-defense. Those of us that own firearms for self defense have taken the time to learn about them, we shoot them, we know how safely manage a firearm. We have thought about the many scenarios when a firearm may be used for self-defense. We have practiced those scenarios. Most important, we have each determined when and where we will fight. We understand the consequences if we discharge a firearm in self defense, or at least have thought about them.

Too much to learn, no way to learn it (my club is closed, I couldn't even take them for a basic instruction course). I fear that lending a gun to a newbie will not end well for anyone.

Now, if they wanted to borrow my wife's old field hockey sticks*, my machete, battle hatchet or other such implement, I would not hesitate.

* Don't laugh, lighter than a bat, hardwood, I have no doubt that they will inflict serious damage.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Bucks County)

I would be very selective in who I would give one to. And if I did it would be a shotgun or a lever action rifle. Shotguns are simpler to use and they will have a better chance of hitting something with it (and not shooting themselves). And it would be legal.

I would not lend a handgun (especially an autoloader) to someone who barely shot one before. Same for AR's, there are a lot of buttons and levers that can confuse a newbie (especially under stress).

(Mifflin County)

No way , why would you risk "lending " a gun to some one who may or may not be safe ,or prohibited for that matter !!

Training I can do on my own property as often as I like. The people I am concerned about are the kind of people who aren't idiots and would lay down in traffic for my kids, you know trusted people. Lets be real here I bet at least 50% and I think I am being generous of the firearm community especially the "operators" have poor firearm skills outside of basic safety and there's no time to learn like the present. It was mentioned that the SGL's are still opened if anyone needs a place to shoot by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Unless they possess a LTCF, it's not lawful to "lend" them a firearm - it's basically considered a "transfer" and requires the usual FFL process for such.

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsyl...apter-61/6115/
    I did forget that Handguns do require both members to have an LTCF now that it has been said so thank you for that, but long guns an be sold to any non prohibited person and a bill of sale proves that easily, hell I wouldn't even mind if they took ownership through a transfer I guess. It could always be purchased back at a later date.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast