Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Lending a firearm out to a trusted friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I would be very selective in who I would give one to. And if I did it would be a shotgun or a lever action rifle. Shotguns are simpler to use and they will have a better chance of hitting something with it (and not shooting themselves). And it would be legal.

I would not lend a handgun (especially an autoloader) to someone who barely shot one before. Same for AR's, there are a lot of buttons and levers that can confuse a newbie (especially under stress).

This is the way I feel as well and probably he way I would lean, I am always a proponent of long arms over handguns and I wouldn't hand an AR or AK over after an hour or two on the range unless it was complete SHTF.

(Wayne County)

I honestly think that I may only have two, maybe three friends who don't already own a firearm of some sort. And only one of them would be likely to ask. If she did, I would. But, only after a solid day of practce and practice and discussion and training. And then it would only be a single shot 20 guage, for simplicity's sake. But, she would be up to the task.

I can't think of anybody else I would do that for.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Beaver County)

I lent my G2C to a friend of my wife and I last week. She goes shooting with us all the time so she's not a liability with it but she didn't have money to buy her own right now. Most likely, I'll offer to let her buy it when she has money again since she's shot it a lot and likes it. She prefers the Beretta 92 but I'm not giving up one of my Berettas.

If you have some unloved long guns, go for it. Assuming they're residents, hand it to them along with some ammo. They may just have your back when you need it.

(Wyoming County)

I would not consider such a thing outside of a "end of society" event in which I needed help from them.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

No. To much liability. Anyone I would trust already has guns. We are keeping an even closer eye on our elderly neighbors though.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

I have a couple of .22 bolt rifles that I'd lend to someone with no gun familiarity, for "social dysfunction" events. A .22 is a gun, it's a pacifier, a bolt gun won't stitch a run of holes along the wall, BUT few non-stoned human predators will face down a gun, even a .22.

Would you be OK with someone running a 7/32" drill bit through your torso? No? Then don't get shot with a .22, either.

I would not lend a handgun to someone without an LTCF, and very few people who have never even held a gun before will happen to have an LTCF.

I'd lend a shotgun to someone with experience but no guns, for example if they just had a house fire or a divorce and lost their guns.

I'd lend an AR to someone smart and willing to get to know the machine.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Similar situation in the latest issue of USCCA mag about lending a gun to someone that has an inament thteat from another party and states that a revolver is the gun of choice because of the simplicity of use for a non gun person in case the need should arrive. If can save thier life, fuck the law.

I have to pint out that the basic level of offense under the Uniform Firearms Act is a misdemeanor 1, with up to 5 years in prison, and an automatic loss of firearm rights for life. If your buddy kills someone, you as his accomplice may face even worse.

You lend a handgun to the wrong person, and it goes sideways, then you're no longer a gun owner. Reading PAFOA posts will be like reading astronauts talking about piloting spacecraft, which will be interesting, but not something that you can ever do.

Remember, many of those prosecuted and convicted for being prohibited persons in possession of a gun, are those who saved their own lives with that gun that they weren't supposed to have. Plenty of stories about that, like Bernie Goetz and others. The DA doesn't care that the public won't get it, especially in counties near Philly, filled with low-info soccer moms.

There's no "John Wayne" kind of justice in the DA's office, you being a cool cat who lent a buddy a gun because he was scared but too dumb to get a gun before TEOTWAWKI, is NOT a defense, not unless you tossed him the gun as the invading zombie hordes were actually approaching and 20 yards away (see: "legal necessity" or "justification")
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Yes I would lend a long gun to someone close to me. What's the liability? Long guns are sold back and forth all the time. Is there liability if you sell one a friend?

And yes I would give them detailed instruction. I don't have anyone close to me that I wouldn't lend one too ... Otherwise why would I be close with them?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast