Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Dehydrated Food Availability

Point of order: most (not all) camping food is freeze dried, not dehydrated. It cooks up faster. And is close if not identical to eating fresh/ frozen, and is more visually appealing. Snacks like trail mix being the obvious exception.

If you really want dehydrated I can fire up my dehydrator and make whatever. Just let me know what you want and swing by to pick it up.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    So, have a backpacking trip planned for April and at the time before I left for vacation I figured I had plenty of time to order food.

But, the wuhanflu has hit hard and nothing is in stock, anywhere.

Looking for suggestions on where places may have some in stock.
    This is a smaller place that's relatively unknown, and therefore they have some things in stock. Theirs is dehydrated so doesn't have the 25 year shelf life of the freeze dried stuff. I really like their meals, particularly the mushroom risotto and classic marinara, both of which are in stock.

https://goodto-go.com/collections/food
    Last edited by Justin///M; March 19th, 2020 at 12:28 AM.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    This is a smaller places that's relatively unknown, and therefore they have some things in stock. Theirs is dehydrated so doesn't have the 25 year shelf life of the freeze dried stuff. I really like their meals, particularly the mushroom risotto and classic marinara, both of which are in stock.

https://goodto-go.com/collections/food
    Properly packed, properly dehydrated food, including fruit and veggies have a 25 year self life. I have some sitting around. However many people do not need 25 year shelf life on their camping food :-).

https://www.beprepared.com/shelf-life
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; March 19th, 2020 at 12:32 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Properly packed, properly dehydrated food, including fruit and veggies have a 25 year self life. I have some sitting around. However many people do not need 25 year shelf life on their camping food :-).

https://www.beprepared.com/shelf-life
    I'm reporting what they advertise.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks guys, Justin I will check out that site and see if anything is in stock.

And I was mistakenly thinking the mountain house was dehyrdatred, its freeze dried as you folks pointed out. I have made dehydrated fruit for road trips but never thought to try it for backpacking.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

mypatriotsupply.

https://mypatriotsupply.com/

Err maybe not, shipping is out to as much as 12 weeks.

(Wayne County)

As suggested earlier, make your own. Besides my jerky, I dehydrate scrambled eggs, fruits, chicken, veggies, etc. Boys are Scouts and do a lot of camping. They always tell of the other campers envy of their meals/snacks.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I'm reporting what they advertise.
    Which is good, it shows they are being honest and not making false claims about the shelf life of their products that other companies (wise foods) have a history of doing.

Food preservation is a science. There is true and false. To say dehydrated food, properly stored & packaged can no last 100% as good as day one is false. To say “oven canning” anything Is safe or effective is false. To say you can safely water bath can low acid foods (green beans being the common one) is false. It is important to squash bad Information on food preparation/ storage immediately, in the same way we would squash dangerously firearms practice. We would never tell someone it is okay to shoot .357 magnum in a gun only rated for .38 special. Same thing.

For them to say they do not store & pack for long term storage, but only intermittent storage 1-5 years, is good. It is likely cheaper, and fills an important place in the market. If I am buying for my pantry, or a camping trip next month, there is no reason for me to buy food packed to store 25 years.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

(Lancaster County)

Ordered a few entrees from the good to go place on top of the MREs, lets see what actually comes in.

Granted, NJ cancelled my camping reservation, but prob thru hike regardless.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12