Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Dehydrated Food Availability

So, have a backpacking trip planned for April and at the time before I left for vacation I figured I had plenty of time to order food.

But, the wuhanflu has hit hard and nothing is in stock, anywhere.

Looking for suggestions on where places may have some in stock.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Berks County)

Default Re: Dehydrated Food Availability

i think you are going to have a hard time getting a normal price on anything in stock. I few places i have seen show in stock but have weeks of delayed shipping notices.

(Lancaster County)

Begrudgingly ordered a 12 pack of MRE's from a place that claimed in stock, we shall see.

(Berks County)

i had ordered some more early last month and midway shows as it being past due. so i have no clue when it will come.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    So, have a backpacking trip planned for April and at the time before I left for vacation I figured I had plenty of time to order food.

But, the wuhanflu has hit hard and nothing is in stock, anywhere.

Looking for suggestions on where places may have some in stock.
    If you’re somewhere near me, you can have my entire stock. Just have to replace what you take by the end of the year.

Alternatively, I can ship it to you if you send the money for shipping and original price for whatever you take.

If you have interest, let me know and I will go take inventory.

(Bucks County)

By the time you use MREs you might as well take other regular food. You don't save any weight since the water is already in it. If you do some research there is plenty of stuff you can bring that is relatively light and won't spoil.

My favorite starch is CousCous. Boil water, stir it in, cook 1 min, cover and let sit. Its done. Its cheap too.

I also like to bring a lot of dry cured meats and sausages and hard cheeses. The real dry cured ones you can see hanging like pepperoni and summer sausage, not the refrigerated lunch meats. And if you have time look up how to make Jerkey or Biltong (South African jerkey and even easier to make). Make sure you use nitrates to cure it and cut it thicker than normal. When at camp cut it up, boil it a little to rehydrate and add it to your dish.

For breakfast check out the pancake mixes. Some don't need an egg.

(Lancaster County)

Well, weight isn't a big deal, have to create about 15# to mimic the rifle so for this trip I think MRE's will work.

Why not make your own pre-made meals? It's not that hard if you think about what you eat. If weight isn't an issue, bring some canned meats and some dry pasta.

MRE's are expensive for what they are...I like how they tasted when I was in the Army. I wouldn't buy them for costs, but I do enjoy eating them. There are places online that just sell the entrees and not the entire MRE for around $2 an entree.

(Lancaster County)

I suppose I could, just not sure I would have the time to learn/experiment. ~53mile trip first weekend of April and rifle matches on the weekends between.

Certainly something I would like to look into.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Why not make your own pre-made meals? It's not that hard if you think about what you eat. If weight isn't an issue, bring some canned meats and some dry pasta.

MRE's are expensive for what they are...I like how they tasted when I was in the Army. I wouldn't buy them for costs, but I do enjoy eating them. There are places online that just sell the entrees and not the entire MRE for around $2 an entree.
    Good point. Like I mentioned earlier MRE's are far from ideal from a backpacking perspective. With dehydrated it is compact and light because you don't carry the water around, you get it when you camp. With MREs the water is already in it so you carry around the full weight. Besides heat and eat there are no advantages. If weight is not an issue you can even think of regular canned stuff. A burnt out can is not messy and does not weigh that much when you pack it out. They even have a lot of things in the grocery store in pouches now. Think outside the box. Bring a pouch of tuna and steal a few extra mayo and relish packs next time you go out for fast food. Instant tuna salad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast