Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
Your get home bag is way too big and way too heavy. You don*t need very much beyond what*s normally on your person to get home. I did a moderate amount of sere in the Army as a student and as opfor. The students that *made it* through the don*t get caught phase traveled as light as possible and hauled azz. The ones that tried to be all ninja stealthy with extra items were generally caught.

I*ve also busted a lot of bad ass bush as an infantry guy with tons of gear. Assistant m60 gunner was probably the worst. Carrying the spare barrel, tripod, T&E and at least 400 rounds for the pig. I found out pretty quick that wearing a poncho with a pack sucks. You get just as soaked from sweat as you would from the rain. You won*t need it for shelter because you*re going to be hauling ass for home.

You would be much better off with a discreet bag about the same size or less as the old school military butt pack. Throw in some water, a multi tool, maybe a couple magazines and a pack of lighters. If you really want to get fancy, a vacuum packed ifak and a couple drive on rags.

You won*t be in a firefight. If it comes to that, you*re chances are very slim. Your best shot is to haul ass and suck it up. I do have a very nice lightweight poncho that has extra material in the rear to drape over your rucksack. It works great if you*re moving slow or sitting in a fixed position on a recreational camping trip. It*s not in my get home bag.
Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
All very valid points! Thanks for adding to the thread!

MY bag isn't a simple "get home" bag though - more of a general purpose "emergency bag" to be kept in the vehicle.
I've always figured I could "unpack" unnecessary items if I head out on foot.
No, it's not ideal for every person's mental image of what I should have/do, but it's how I'm doing it.
Agreed. All really good points by CDI, and those have crossed my mind over the years being as I'm not exactly 20 years old anymore, and realistically won't be going far with a lot of weight on my back should the need arise.

That said, as EM mentions I also keep the bag in my car as a general emergency bag to keep things together, and have the same thought process that if needed I would lighten the bag if before heading out on foot. I work about 16 miles from home so it's doable for me (I think LOL)