Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Get back home bag

I grabbed one of those medic kits and put each in a car- it’s perfect for any travel becusse it has almost all you need for minor to other life happenings

(Lehigh County)

I have a camelback hydration backpack courtesy of the USAF. My son had an extra one he gave me.

CB62592.jpg

I have pretty much what you listed and then some. Probably more stuff than I actually need to get home. All except a handgun since I work for a k-12 school and can't have it near work.

I have at least 4 styles of fire starters and helpers. First aid, both MPact and rubber gloves, knives, water filtration etc.

I guess this is more of a bugout bag than a get home bag but it could do both.

Now that I think about it I need to go through it and reevaluate and make sure I have all my bases covered.
    Last edited by sakustoms; April 13th, 2022 at 07:53 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Bump!

I just made a note to grab the bag in my truck and go through it and swap out old Hot Hands for new and add a few items I've recently purchased.

Also, the thought occurred to me that rather than keeping my bag tucked out of the way somewhere in the back of my truck, it would make a lot more sense to keep it on the floor in front of the passenger seat, or on the floor behind the passenger seat where I can reach it from the driver's seat.
    God forbid you slide off a road into a ditch and can't move from your seat due to injury or entrapment - could be a life-saver just being able to reach your bag.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I burnt my arm at work and used some of the firstaid supplies from my GBHB like the ointment, tape, and large patch . All of the First aid kits were empty at work, someone raided them and all that was in there were the little bandaids and cotton gauze.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

I was in the Natrona Heights Walmart today and they have a bunch of camping/hiking/survival stuff on clearance.

Backpacks were marked down pretty low - some were $60 and $40 packs for $10.
    Definitely some that were suitable for a get home bag.

They had a couple Mountain House boxes with 6 freeze dried meals (2 entrees, 1 rice, and 1 breakfast I think) on clearance for $35 down from $60-something. It was definitely a good deal - probably should have gotten it. The individual $10 pouches were not marked down.

They had this for $50 down from $75
    Life+Gear 143 Piece Waterproof 72 Hour Emergency Backpack Red, 5 Year Shelf Life

I didn't look at it to see if the contents warranted the price.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Bump!

I just made a note to grab the bag in my truck and go through it and swap out old Hot Hands for new and add a few items I've recently purchased.
    It's a good reminder honestly. I need to repack mine as well. It's more of a 72 hr kit than a get home bag, but a lot of what's in there is out of date now. I wanted to redo it in 2020 when I was home a lot with little to do, but half the stuff was hard to find back then due to supply/demand issues. And now it's just more expensive.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I had a smaller bag I had to take out of my car, due to mice invading both my cars.
    Apparently I drove to the Berks County rifle range last week with a mouse, because a granola bar I brought with me got partially eaten in the center console box while I was there.
    I have replaced back up food for adults and toddlers with mouse traps.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    I had a smaller bag I had to take out of my car, due to mice invading both my cars.
    Apparently I drove to the Berks County rifle range last week with a mouse, because a granola bar I brought with me got partially eaten in the center console box while I was there.
    I have replaced back up food for adults and toddlers with mouse traps.
    You could just eat the mice if you get stuck in a ravine somewhere!

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You could just eat the mice if you get stuck in a ravine somewhere!
    I have a few unused MRE heaters, so I can just cook that bad boy up!! 😜

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    It's a good reminder honestly. I need to repack mine as well. It's more of a 72 hr kit than a get home bag, but a lot of what's in there is out of date now. I wanted to redo it in 2020 when I was home a lot with little to do, but half the stuff was hard to find back then due to supply/demand issues. And now it's just more expensive.

I just did this last week. During my annual replace consumables date night with myself. ha. batteries in optics/lasers/lights.. frayed cables/etc. Touched up some ID on mags.

ON the pack side, I go necessity-only and I actually train with it.

Got a couple of those 5.11 COVRT18 packs and use them daily. Actually grabbed once for a reason... and then I swapped a bunch of stuff out after that realising what I really wanted.

E.g., I took out the water bladder and replaced with just a couple bottles; then put a plate in that back compartment. Also added small good binoculars... nice to see things without pointing rifles at whatever... ha on that note, I took off the Law Tac folder bc the size diff only meant I had an extra step and entanglement. Deploying this system during training has taught me a lot too.

ahh i tried attaching pics for awhile whatves
    F*S=k

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast