Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Long Term Egg Preservation

With the current shortage of food I picked up 8 dozen eggs for now from a local farmer friend to stay stocked up. My diet consists of tons of eggs so I will be getting more here very shortly and I decided it was time to use some preservation techniques so they stay fresh in the next few weeks or months.

We've raised chickens over the years for our own eggs so I'm used to washing them but when you wash a raw egg from the hen house you remove the protective layer that is on them and create a porous surface on the shells that allow them to spoil. This is why those raw eggs, especially fertilized eggs don't spoil quickly in a warm nest. Larding the eggs reseals those pores similar to the natural coating they had and keeps the eggs fresher longer.

There are lots of methods to preserving eggs but I've always been a fan of larding my eggs. I have a spare fridge so storing them just above freezing helps too but could be stored in a cool, dry place like a root cellar or basement with success although I haven't had the chance to really test the limits. All I basically do is rub lard on my hands and wipe down the washed and dried eggs until they have a uniform coating and they go into the cartons and into the cooler. That's it.

What are some other methods you use to preserve eggs for long term storage?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Long Term Egg Preservation

I read someone said to coat them with olive oil. Eggs are produced domestically at a steady pace and I do not foresee any shortage of them. Have at it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Brakleen (dirt) 2 coats lacquer paint.

No eggs at my local store. I'll have to run out tonight and see if I can score some.

Obviously requires refrigeration, but you can freeze the contents. I crack and freeze in ice cube trays then place in a zip lock bag after frozen, They still scramble up decent and can be used in baking, although my use has been limited to I think brownies and a boxed cake way in the day.

Also flax seed (or flax seed powder) can be used as an egg substitute, or so I'm told. No first hand experience never got around to trying it, but we have some on hand to try.

(Bucks County)

We have at least 10 farm stands that sell eggs within a mile radius.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Obviously requires refrigeration, but you can freeze the contents. I crack and freeze in ice cube trays then place in a zip lock bag after frozen, They still scramble up decent and can be used in baking, although my use has been limited to I think brownies and a boxed cake way in the day.

Also flax seed (or flax seed powder) can be used as an egg substitute, or so I'm told. No first hand experience never got around to trying it, but we have some on hand to try.
    Actually, eggs do not require refrigeration and will last a long time just on top of the refrigerator. I don't know about a hard freeze but I have frozen eggs by accident before (too close to the blower in the refrigerator) and when they defrosted they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Actually, eggs do not require refrigeration and will last a long time just on top of the refrigerator. I don't know about a hard freeze but I have frozen eggs by accident before (too close to the blower in the refrigerator) and when they defrosted they were fine.
    They may not require it, (and I know when I was young the farm we purchased from didn't refrigerate but kept them in a cool root cellar) but I doubt the longevity is the same. Eggs last for a couple months refrigerated....easy. Probably longer.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    They may not require it, (and I know when I was young the farm we purchased from didn't refrigerate but kept them in a cool root cellar) but I doubt the longevity is the same. Eggs last for a couple months refrigerated....easy. Probably longer.
    I have to agree with that, I never tested either but have had them in the 'fridge for about two months once.

(Clinton County)

On that note another trick I do is the float test on eggs I'm unsure of.

If they sink to the bottom in a glass of water they're good.
    If they float to the top, pitch 'em.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Chester County)

Read up on and check out YouTube for water glassing eggs for preservation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast