Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I just read every post. I decided I am NOT getting into HAM, but I did apply for my GMRS license and am picking up a pair of the Midland GXT1000s.

Thanks for all of the great info.
    Glad it helped, that was the intent. Just like every firearm isn't a fit for every user, there is no one size fits all commo plan. Since you are going with a GMRS License, that's great fro Tactical, I'd recommend having one low cost CB around for longer distance communications. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist you in your planning.

(Lebanon County)

For those interested. Field Day is the last full weekend of Jun. this year the 27th and 28th. This is when HAM clubs simulate mass emergency and EMCOM RACES/ ARES /ACS need to be activated and run a 24 hour operation. I know with the current pandemic events will be scaled down and some clubs are canceling public events, however, some clubs like the Lebanon LVSRA will still be having theirs (South Hills Park Starting at 0900hrs on Saturday running down by 1100hrs Sunday). This is a good chance to meet some HAMs and kick the tires so to speak, as some will have a "Get On The Air" (GOTA) station where a licensed operator will sit close and allow you to transmit. Many will also have demonstrations such as Digital (both via computer and digital Voice) so you can see some of the options available.

Even if you're not interested in your license, I'd suggest going to one of these events close to you, getting to know some of these folks, the stereo type ham operator being an old, fat guy typing Morse code in his basement still is out there, but there's so much more, and you may find many of these guys got in it as a means to prepping and ARE firearms owners as well.

License in already!

WRFZ515
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lebanon County)

License in already!

WRFZ515
    Congrats, yea, they're pretty fast with the GMRS calls. HAMS is what org you test through, some get them in days, others in weeks.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    the stereo type ham operator being an old, fat guy typing Morse code in his basement still is out there
    Hey! I’m up in the bedroom!

License in already!

WRFZ515
    Congrats!

(Montgomery County)

Loving that Midland weather radio by the way.... came in handy yesterday. Although we got cell phone alerts, my other half heard the Midland alarm go off on in her bedroom and sought shelter during the tornado warning.

Only problem is the LED display is glaringly bright, even on low. But I like everything else about the radio so I'll be finding some colored cellphane to place on top of the light bar to dim it out a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Loving that Midland weather radio by the way.... came in handy yesterday. Although we got cell phone alerts, my other half heard the Midland alarm go off on in her bedroom and sought shelter during the tornado warning.

Only problem is the LED display is glaringly bright, even on low. But I like everything else about the radio so I'll be finding some colored cellphane to place on top of the light bar to dim it out a little bit.
    I just bought two of those from Amazon yesterday, coming tomorrow.

Of course it's storming NOW.

I picked them up for Monday's rally, and later hiking.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

I just read every post. I decided I am NOT getting into HAM, but I did apply for my GMRS license and am picking up a pair of the Midland GXT1000s.

Thanks for all of the great info.
    What exactly does that license do for you with those radios, just opens up more then Channels 1-22?
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    What exactly does that license do for you with those radios, just opens up more then Channels 1-22?
    That and higher power radios.

Here's a good breakdown of the various personal radio services.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-keeping-touch

And the frequency break down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...aring_with_FRS
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Montgomery County)

I cannot explain how disappointing I am in the Ham community right now.
    I've been listening to nightly nets for months, got my ticket a few weeks ago. Plenty of nets dedicated to emergency situations. Field day coming up to practice for emergency situations.

We get hit by this storm Wednesday. A lot of the region is still without power on Friday. people need help. Trees down taking out power lines and blocking roads. I was trying to locate which towns near me had gas stations open (needed gas for my generator) since my town had no power and nothing open.

Seems like a situation needing Ham radio to get information out. Yet I hear very little radio traffic at all, and NONE relating to helping people impacted by the storms. Some chatter about the weather mostly from people that were not impacted by it. Or a couple guys tying up the repeaters for hours talking about converting 220 to 110.
    Even when I got someone to answer, they did not know what the situation was in their own towns.

It makes me think this whole "Ham radio for preparedness" is a bunch of bullshit made up by basement dwellers to justify to their wives the need to spend tons of money on electronics.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast