Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Communications Preparations

You have thought about your means of obtaining and disseminating information haven't you? Big Props to LANCO Tactical for hosting HAM Radio Classes, HAM is one of the better tools that should be in your Communications toolkit.

As I teach in the Emergency Communications class, Listening is twice as important as speaking, Do you have a scanner, even the old analog scanner with out the P25 Trunking that most counties use is useful for listening what's going on. Solar/ shortwave emergency radio are essential equipment as well, listen live over long distances. The internet connected scanners are fine as long as connectivity exists, but can also be censored, so use with caution.

Talking. everyone knows about FRS and GMRS, easy to buy relatively cheep very susceptible to childish pranks, jamming and intercept. A little security through obscurity MURS has 5 channels of license free transmission on the 2M band, one of the favorite HAM bands in the state, good for "tactical" or "local communications". CB Radios, operate in the 11M band, also license free, very close to the HAM 10M band, with a good antenna, this is good for regional communications (Cobra Radios are available at many Walmarts for $35 or local Truck stops with higher end eqpt). Unfortunately the window is temporarily closed for HAM as all the Central PA (aka Eastern PA ARRL) have suspended testing, but you can still study for your test at HAMTESTonline.com once you get your license, you'll need to upgrade to General for the ability to use the HF frequencies giving global communications on a $1000 radio. While Baofengs are popular and cheep, are you willing to risk your life on them? They make great back-up radios but are not durable or legal for some uses people want them for (Like FRS).

Batteries and solar are needed to run and recharge this gear, a $20 solar charger from Harbor Freight, and two $20 tractor batteries from TSC/ Walmart will last you thorough many months of emergency communications activity.

Be smart learn comms before things get really bad. Renumber It's part of the shoot, move, communicate triangle for a reason, it's also key in just about every aspect of life. If you have any questions or comments, please post them here, I am part of the AUXCOM/ EMCOMM community for almost 10 years now and have practiced setting up field communications infrastructure on a regular basis (you could call it my unpaid job).

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

New to communicatiions and HAM , I do have FRS radios that I got a while back, and purchased a Baofeng UV-5R last week (should be arriving next Monday) mainly for listening.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    New to communicatiions and HAM , I do have FRS radios that I got a while back, and purchased a Baofeng UV-5R last week (should be arriving next Monday) mainly for listening.
    A trick I teach many newcomers, when you get your new UV-5, program the FRS and MURS frequencies in, use the Chirp radio programming software. While it may be illegal to transmit on those with the Baoefeng, there is no law against scanning and monitoring those frequencies. This is an impromptu "Bubba Scanner" that allows you to listen to what's going on around you, using the Baoefeng as a scanner.

(Lancaster County)

Will do ! Thanks.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Berks County)

I'm screwed. I admit I depend far too much on my home Internet and mobile phone data connection. I guess I'll know what's going on when the APV's start rolling in. Well, there's the car radio for news.

(Berks County)

My Baofeng UV-5R had the FRS and GMRS freqs pre-programmed in on channels 1 through 15 (I think) what MURS freqs are commonly used? And if TSHTF I'll use any freq that's getting me by and I won't be ending the transmissions with my call sign.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I've been a ham for nearly 33 years. I have six operating stations at home and can work on all bands between 80m and 70cm. My club also runs D-Star, Fusion, DMR, and Analog repeaters.

I keep it strictly to ham bands since I don't have radios that are approved or legal for use on MURS, FRS, or GMRS frequencies.

Just wish Monroe County wasn't largely a dead zone for UHF/VHF communications.
    Your neighborhood friendly candyman, Tim

(Montgomery County)

Where we're talking about going...

... i dont think pesky regulatory tax laws are going to impeed us.

Meh, not into it. If coms break down to a point where I need to be dorking with specialized equipment I think tuning out and being dark would be best for me.
    Not knocking it, or understating the general importance. I just can't have my fingers in every pie.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast