Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

Dusting off my late uncle's shortwave radio for when he was prepping when Limerick got the nod. 4 Fresh D cells because no power cord. Getting no power. Anybody want to have a crack at it before I booger it up. It's a Panasonic RF-2200. Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland45 View Post
    got this from the midland website, perhaps it will help the technically challenged of us understand FRS / GMRS changes that have taken place recently.

6 Things You Should Know about FCC Changes for FRS and GMRS Radios

We receive many questions on the new FCC changes, what they mean for Midland Radios, and what they mean for our consumers. Below are the top takeaways from these recent changes. What you will notice is that not much has changed, these rules have basically just been updated to fit modern radio usage.

1. FRS radios are now allowed to transmit up to 2W of power and do not require a license to operate: Formally referred to as FRS/GMRS hybrid radios, these radios will now be reclassified as FRS units using expanded FRS capabilities.

2. FRS radios will now have 22 channels: These expanded capabilities now include usage of channels 8 – 14, and previously GMRS only channels 15 – 22, in addition to the existing FRS channels 1 – 7. It is important to note that each FRS transmitter type must be designed such that the effective radiated power (ERP) on channels 8 – 14 does not exceed 0.5 Watts and the ERP on channels 1 – 7 and 15 – 22 does not exceed 2.0 Watts. Part95 – eCFR

3. You will be allowed to use reclassified FRS units for personal or business reasons: People have been doing this for a while, but now it is legal! While the Midland BizTalk BR200 radio is better suited for business use, the XTalker line can now be used in a business setting.

4. Any radio above 2W of power is now classified as GMRS radio: and still requires a license from the FCC to operate. Not much change here, except sharing additional stations with FRS radio users.

5. GMRS licensing is now good for 10 years and cost $70: This covers you and your immediate family and was previously only valid for 5 years.

6. GMRS will have 30 total channels: This means 22 FRS/GMRS channels plus 8 repeater channels. As with FRS, radios on these channels are limited to the ERP designated. If you are using a GMRS radio on channels 8 -14 you are still limited to a transmitting power of .5W. FCC GMRS Channels
    If you have questions regarding the new FCC regulations please give our industry-leading customer service a call at (816) 241-8500 M-F, 8am-4:30pm CT.

The part I like best is number 5. for $70. you can get your whole family radios , in GMRS,( that are listed as Part95 – eCFR) With a lot more watts of broadcasting power in your vehicle, or base, or anyone of your families vehicle. 40 watts and a decent antenna can go a long , long way. if there are repeaters in your area, even further.

hope this helps
    So I have 2 Midland GXT550 FRS handhelds that I bought like 15 years ago. I think they have 22 channels plus privacy and are 5 watts. Is this telling me I now need a $70 license the operate them even though that was not true when I purchased? Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by coat4gun; April 17th, 2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: I checked they do have 22 channels

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbspedy View Post
    Dusting off my late uncle's shortwave radio for when he was prepping when Limerick got the nod. 4 Fresh D cells because no power cord. Getting no power. Anybody want to have a crack at it before I booger it up. It's a Panasonic RF-2200. Thanks.
    If there were batteries inside it for a long period of time, they might have corroded the contacts. Clean them up if they look dirty. Just looking up that model, that power cord is readily available. I probably have a dozen of them here. You can probably pick one up off of Radio Shack Amazon.

ETA: Sometimes those older units had a switch inside the battery compartment to switch between batteries or AC. Look for that.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

No corrosion whatsoever in the battery compartment. I found some info how to take it apart. Thanks for the tip on the power cord I'll have to look for that also.

(Mercer County)

Shadow, thanks for starting this thread. Reading all 184 posts I had flashbacks to all the conversations I had in our group during the last 6 weeks.

I am in NW PA. We have a group of Patriots and radio comms has been a hot topic. Everyone is getting their Baofengs and a number of people are studying for their license. I have my tech license (Feb 2018) and I'm finally learning about Ham Radio because I am actually using them.

Studying for and passing the test was easy. As soon as things open up I will sit for my general. Been studying and doing well on practice tests.

I am part of a small group of licensed people that are putting together a comm plan. We have members across the state and we are working with other groups. I was just introduced to AmRRON today. I like to keep things simple and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Needless to say, our plan for statewide will be HF. Local comm plans will include use of 2M/70cm repeaters and HF (ground wave).

Sending a PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post
    Shadow, thanks for starting this thread. Reading all 184 posts I had flashbacks to all the conversations I had in our group during the last 6 weeks.

I am in NW PA. We have a group of Patriots and radio comms has been a hot topic. Everyone is getting their Baofengs and a number of people are studying for their license. I have my tech license (Feb 2018) and I'm finally learning about Ham Radio because I am actually using them.

Studying for and passing the test was easy. As soon as things open up I will sit for my general. Been studying and doing well on practice tests.

I am part of a small group of licensed people that are putting together a comm plan. We have members across the state and we are working with other groups. I was just introduced to AmRRON today. I like to keep things simple and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Needless to say, our plan for statewide will be HF. Local comm plans will include use of 2M/70cm repeaters and HF (ground wave).

Sending a PM.
    You can test via laptop now using Zoom meetings. I passed my test last night after dinner with a test given by a VEC team in New York City.
    More info here https://hamstudy.org/sessions

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post

Sending a PM.
    Thanks, I'm glad it's been beneficial. Going General will be great for the HF Privileges, at least one person in each group should have that knowledge and skill for a larger view of the situation. I've replied to your PM, and hopefully I can help you set some goals for your group and achieve great things.

(Lebanon County)

Another thing, Remember when I said listening was twice as important as talking. Someone in your group should read this, and act accordingly. https://dialtoneblog.wordpress.com/

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Another thing, Remember when I said listening was twice as important as talking. Someone in your group should read this, and act accordingly. https://dialtoneblog.wordpress.com/
    Good blog.
    Dangerous time killer. I just realized I have been casually browsing it for the last two hours, instead of doing the things I am supposed to be doing. Ce la vie.

I just read every post. I decided I am NOT getting into HAM, but I did apply for my GMRS license and am picking up a pair of the Midland GXT1000s.

Thanks for all of the great info.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast