Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If the SHTF really happens, who are you going to call?
    Ghostbusters...?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If the SHTF really happens, who are you going to call?
    Ghost busters!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    OP, what are your thoughts on sat phones in the current context?
    Do you see any useful application as it relates to a possible SHTF scenario?
    Sat Phones won't be as impacted as cell, since there are less users, butit can't help uou break into the cell or landline cercuits if they are overwhelmed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Sat Phones won't be as impacted as cell, since there are less users, butit can't help uou break into the cell or landline cercuits if they are overwhelmed.
    Would you consider them useless in this scenario, or would they be useful in some capacity?

(York County)

I was so impressed with the OP when this thread started, that I went out and bought a Baofeng.

Now, with all the "noise" in this thread I'm simply confused.

Can we please get back on topic?

(Lebanon County)

Would you consider them useless in this scenario, or would they be useful in some capacity?
    It will be of some limited value, all depends who you're trying to call. I don't see it viable as radio for long term planning. Certainly better than landlines and Cell.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ntouchet View Post
    I was so impressed with the OP when this thread started, that I went out and bought a Baofeng.

Now, with all the "noise" in this thread I'm simply confused.

Can we please get back on topic?
    Thank you. Hope I can guide you to use it in a legal manner, and get you started thinking long term.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    It will be of some limited value, all depends who you're trying to call. I don't see it viable as radio for long term planning. Certainly better than landlines and Cell.
    I guess what I'm asking is in a SHTF scenario, all the cell phones, landlines, and internet go down, and communication reverts to radio operators.
    In a radio operator network, I would imagine there are limitations related to distance transmission and reception, whereas sat phones have global reach.
    A radio operator in PA has no way to reach out beyond a certain distance without bouncing off other broadcasters to chain relay the messages back and forth.
    I am wondering if some sat phones in circulation would solve that problem, or if my understanding of radio limitations is incorrect?

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Now on Amazon for twice that.

Mirkit Radio Baofeng UV-5R MK5 8W MP Max Power 2020 1800 mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack, Baofengradio corp.

$55.75 (Prime)
    Not the same radio at all. When prices aren't inflated, normal UV-5R's could be had for 20 dollars shipped. This was 2 weeks ago, seems everyone went out and bought them since and the price rose above 30 now. Shop around and wait for prices to normalize if you can. They are cheaper than they ever were.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Lebanon County)

I guess what I'm asking is in a SHTF scenario, all the cell phones, landlines, and internet go down, and communication reverts to radio operators.
    In a radio operator network, I would imagine there are limitations related to distance transmission and reception, whereas sat phones have global reach.
    A radio operator in PA has no way to reach out beyond a certain distance without bouncing off other broadcasters to chain relay the messages back and forth.
    I am wondering if some sat phones in circulation would solve that problem, or if my understanding of radio limitations is incorrect?
    Actually, not true about radio. With a handheld, yes, but with my FT-857 which is a mobile radio capped at 50W without an amplifier, I've spoken half way round thr world, once there, the distance gets shorter. It is dependant on bands used. Even the humble CB using 11M, when ducting is favorable can hit Europe. A friend is big on 6M, theg call it a magic band, when conditions are right speakes to South America on 25W.

Radio is dependent on equipment and knowledge. The handhelds are primarily a tactical short distancd communications mechanism. With mobiles and base rigs, you can go regional and global. Add in use of things like Digital and Packet, applications like FLDIGI can pick out digital signals and transmit further on less power than "phone" of voice modes. There are also guys who like to play with "QRP" or radios transmitting under 5W power, these are mostly CW contacts, but they pride themselves to being able to send globally on 5W. They even have contests for it.

Sat phones would work but again the infrastructure needs in place and recipient also needs a phone. Radio, we pride ourself on not needing other people's infrastructure.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast