Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I cannot explain how disappointing I am in the Ham community right now.
    I've been listening to nightly nets for months, got my ticket a few weeks ago. Plenty of nets dedicated to emergency situations. Field day coming up to practice for emergency situations.

We get hit by this storm Wednesday. A lot of the region is still without power on Friday. people need help. Trees down taking out power lines and blocking roads. I was trying to locate which towns near me had gas stations open (needed gas for my generator) since my town had no power and nothing open.

Seems like a situation needing Ham radio to get information out. Yet I hear very little radio traffic at all, and NONE relating to helping people impacted by the storms. Some chatter about the weather mostly from people that were not impacted by it. Or a couple guys tying up the repeaters for hours talking about converting 220 to 110.
    Even when I got someone to answer, they did not know what the situation was in their own towns.

It makes me think this whole "Ham radio for preparedness" is a bunch of bullshit made up by basement dwellers to justify to their wives the need to spend tons of money on electronics.
    I can't speak for your local clubs, but I know hams were out chasing the storm through Dauphin and Lebanon County last night, Three storm chasers on the road, talking directly to National Weather in State College on the Harrisburg 145.110 repeater, at the same time reporters in Lebanon were feeding information to Net control on the 147.315 Lebanon repeater, later that same repeater was used to warn about the disruptions who were bused in causing issues in the Vicinity of Kmart and Lowes. Not all repeaters and repeater "dwellers" are the same. we do have a few who like to tie up the repeater with rag chews, where others can't get a word in edgewise, but they also will stand down when they are told priority traffic.

Right now the repeaters I monitor are quiet, but they sure weren't that way yesterday, I also expect them to get busy when the severe weather comes in. Not everyone will know the situation in surrounding or specific areas, but for the most part I've found hams to be friendly and the type that want to help. I have been informed by WB2OOB that some of the clubs in your area are essentially run by "lawyers" and "snobs" so I really don't know that I could help you much. You may want to try to get on a repeater and call for Ron, he's highly technical but also has his finger on the political pulse of ham clubs in Mont and Chester Co. You can also try hitting the Leb 315 machine, maybe difficult from your location with a hand held, but I've done it with a mobile. Bottom line find a repeater that you feel comfortable with, also leverage the national simplex "call" 146.520 see if you get any response.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Loving that Midland weather radio by the way.... came in handy yesterday. Although we got cell phone alerts, my other half heard the Midland alarm go off on in her bedroom and sought shelter during the tornado warning.

Only problem is the LED display is glaringly bright, even on low. But I like everything else about the radio so I'll be finding some colored cellphane to place on top of the light bar to dim it out a little bit.
    Good to hear, that's the entire intent help people, and keep them safe.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Hey! I’m up in the bedroom!!
    Lucky you, I tried moving my shack out of my office to the spare bedroom, but my youngest came back from college.

(Montgomery County)

I have not read all 22 pages and will admit that.

I want a pack of 4 radios for general/SHTF use. No license, no current desire to learn programming or get a license. I just want decent quality, low cost radios with a couple mile range in the $50-$150 total range. Is this possible? Any recommendations on Amazon?

I guess the next consideration is AA battery vs rechargeable. If rechargeable, obviously having a solar/hand crank charger would be advisable?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I have not read all 22 pages and will admit that.

I want a pack of 4 radios for general/SHTF use. No license, no current desire to learn programming or get a license. I just want decent quality, low cost radios with a couple mile range in the $50-$150 total range. Is this possible? Any recommendations on Amazon?

I guess the next consideration is AA battery vs rechargeable. If rechargeable, obviously having a solar/hand crank charger would be advisable?
    you can grab a two pack of water resistant/ ruggedized with NOAA Radio Midland's at Walmart for around $70. they advertise "20+ miles" on the pack, but don't count on it. They operate on the license free FRS bands. For a small family/ community resource, these will meet most "tactical" ranged communications needs.

(Philadelphia County)

FRS poops out about 1/2 mile, no matter what the package says. GMRS without a repeater might go 2 miles depending on terrain.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021