Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    A trick I teach many newcomers, when you get your new UV-5, program the FRS and MURS frequencies in, use the Chirp radio programming software. While it may be illegal to transmit on those with the Baoefeng, there is no law against scanning and monitoring those frequencies. This is an impromptu "Bubba Scanner" that allows you to listen to what's going on around you, using the Baoefeng as a scanner.
    How can I scan just those frequencies on my UV-5? I think I have them programmed in. I have MURS 1-3, FRS 1-14 and GMRS 1-8.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    How can I scan just those frequencies on my UV-5? I think I have them programmed in. I have MURS 1-3, FRS 1-14 and GMRS 1-8.
    to my knowledge you need the software to program your radio to monitor multiple channels at once, but that mode limits transmitting i believe.
    Last edited by pens87pgh; March 17th, 2020 at 09:54 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    to my knowledge you need the software to program your radio to monitor multiple channels at once, but that mode limits transmitting i believe.
    You can set up dual channel monitoring with chirp, with one of rhem being primary. Meaning that if both channels light up, you hear the primary over the secondary. Transnit goes to primary until you switch i believe.

Gunowner99, are you looking to do a rolling scan of all programmed channels for activity?

If you figure out how to do that, please let me know!

Btw, there are more GMRS channels you are missing, along with MURs blue dot and green dot, you could also add the 2m call and 70cm call ham channels to try an listen in.

(Berks County)

My Garmin Rhino's scan but they only do FRS and GMRS. And weather.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    if using Chirp, there is a box to the right "Scan" either it's "S"kip or blank for scan. This is also a menu setting when creating memories. Then when you hit the scan button it will scroll through the frequencies that are NOT skipped.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Meh, not into it. If coms break down to a point where I need to be dorking with specialized equipment I think tuning out and being dark would be best for me.
    Not knocking it, or understating the general importance. I just can't have my fingers in every pie.
    I'd strongly recommend at least a CB radio, if nothing else you can talk to your neighbors and be aware of the situation around you.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    My Baofeng UV-5R had the FRS and GMRS freqs pre-programmed in on channels 1 through 15 (I think) what MURS freqs are commonly used? And if TSHTF I'll use any freq that's getting me by and I won't be ending the transmissions with my call sign.
    The five Basic MURS are:

No as has been point out there are Blue and green dot, but these five will/ are the most common, and will help most people. Even now though there are few and far between enforcers but this is also making enemies of the HAM community as people are buying the cheep radios and disrupting people who know how to DF them and make life rough. I was like you when I first bought the radio I was only going to use it when SHTF, and a mentor to me asked, well who are you going to talk to when that happens, and how will you know who to trust, on the reverse side, how will they know they can trust you? So I got my license and became more active. This had the side effect of increasing my meat network to include some key people, so I am a "trusted" source and often received advanced warning on certain things, which is never a bad thing. Now not everyone needs get in as deep as I was thrown, but for basic communications to home (from work) or between trusted people, is ALWAYS a good backup. Just helped a guy in VA get his ticket and GMRS license for just that reason.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I'm screwed. I admit I depend far too much on my home Internet and mobile phone data connection. I guess I'll know what's going on when the APV's start rolling in. Well, there's the car radio for news.
    You may be behind the 8 ball, but you can still have things like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRGBSCF...osi&th=1&psc=1 delivered, it's a good start.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    I've been a ham for nearly 33 years. I have six operating stations at home and can work on all bands between 80m and 70cm. My club also runs D-Star, Fusion, DMR, and Analog repeaters.

I keep it strictly to ham bands since I don't have radios that are approved or legal for use on MURS, FRS, or GMRS frequencies.
    Yea Lebanon club (K3LV) has multiple analog repeaters, we are talking getting a DMR repeater, but there are already three on the same ridge line on Cornwall mountain, so I have to question value, and if out limited resources may be directed elsewhere. I've a great Motorola MT1250, that is type classed for MURS, and programmed for HAM. Plus I'm legally MARScapped on several radios, Fllipping radios are like Rabbits, I don't know where they all came from.

(Lebanon County)

A little bit on the advanced side, but for those asking what frequencies to listen too, the Communicator's Frequency bible Is the NIFOG and it's companion AUXFOG. I have hard copies, as well as computer PDFs. These are available to everyone:

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/fog-documents
    https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...v1%206%201.pdf
    https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...al_2-16-17.pdf

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast