Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

I'm telling you guys, Amazon sucks. Fleabay all the way. Here's the one I got with the cable, it was $25 last December when I got it, now it's $30. And here it is without the cable for $20. The cable can be pricey so I'd recommend the first one.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Actually, not true about radio. With a handheld, yes, but with my FT-857 which is a mobile radio capped at 50W without an amplifier, I've spoken half way round thr world, once there, the distance gets shorter. It is dependant on bands used. Even the humble CB using 11M, when ducting is favorable can hit Europe. A friend is big on 6M, theg call it a magic band, when conditions are right speakes to South America on 25W.

Radio is dependent on equipment and knowledge. The handhelds are primarily a tactical short distancd communications mechanism. With mobiles and base rigs, you can go regional and global. Add in use of things like Digital and Packet, applications like FLDIGI can pick out digital signals and transmit further on less power than "phone" of voice modes. There are also guys who like to play with "QRP" or radios transmitting under 5W power, these are mostly CW contacts, but they pride themselves to being able to send globally on 5W. They even have contests for it.

Sat phones would work but again the infrastructure needs in place and recipient also needs a phone. Radio, we pride ourself on not needing other people's infrastructure.
    I see what you're saying.
    Interesting info in this thread.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Now on Amazon for twice that.

Mirkit Radio Baofeng UV-5R MK5 8W MP Max Power 2020 1800 mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack, Baofengradio corp.

$55.75 (Prime)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Not the same radio at all. When prices aren't inflated, normal UV-5R's could be had for 20 dollars shipped. This was 2 weeks ago, seems everyone went out and bought them since and the price rose above 30 now. Shop around and wait for prices to normalize if you can. They are cheaper than they ever were.
    I just found them on eBay at a cost of $52.45 for TWO radios delivered to a PA address. Delivery by April 2nd...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I just found them on eBay at a cost of $52.45 for TWO radios delivered to a PA address. Delivery by April 2nd...
    You can still buy 10 of them for 200.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I see what you're saying.
    Interesting info in this thread.
    That was my intent, provide accurate, legal and moral guidance from an experienced operator, since many people don't even consider communications (like cyber security) till after the fact.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Just found them on Amazon for $23. So that would be $46 for two, delivered.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=UV-5R&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I ordered 4. Arriving Thursday.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Just found them on Amazon for $23. So that would be $46 for two, delivered.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=UV-5R&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I ordered 4. Arriving Thursday.
    so are you a licensed operator? or are you advocating for the equivalence of "Carry with out license"? If it's unlicensed, who are you going to talk to, how do you know who to trust? How will they know to trust you? There's more to this than buying a radio and push to talk, both on the technical and legal sides.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    so are you a licensed operator? or are you advocating for the equivalence of "Carry with out license"? If it's unlicensed, who are you going to talk to, how do you know who to trust? How will they know to trust you? There's more to this than buying a radio and push to talk, both on the technical and legal sides.

It is my understanding that both owning and using these radios to listen is completely legal regardless of what license someone may or may not posses. It is also my understanding that using these radios in a life threatening situation is also completely legal regardless of what license someone may or may not possess. Did I miss someone thing in my research please inform me?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by varano14 View Post
    It is my understanding that both owning and using these radios to listen is completely legal regardless of what license someone may or may not posses. It is also my understanding that using these radios in a life threatening situation is also completely legal regardless of what license someone may or may not possess. Did I miss someone thing in my research please inform me?
    you are correct it is legal, just like owning a firearm, but it's a HECK of a lot easier to accidentally broadcast (Carry) with out a license than it is with a firearm.

As for life threatening, you missed several KEY exonerating criteria that can and WILL be challenged in court. You can transmit in the IMMEDIATE protection of life or property and there are NO OTHER MEANS available or all other means have failed. So "I'm standing beside an unconscious person, massive bleeding no cell signal" YES use the radio. check on a family member in isolation as a welfare check, not an immediate life threatening issue, no transmit. Hiking the AT, huge forest fire ahead, no cell phones with the party, YES transmit. boat launch at Safe Harbor, unresponsive person just pulled from the water, closest cell phone 100 yards away, Grey area but it was sustained. So the "emergency" conditions are really a very narrow window. Just like open carry, it's a lot easier and more responsible to GET the license, not only will it give you convenience, but you will also know the answer to these questions, it's one of the Technician questions.

(Montgomery County)

This is getting absurd.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast