Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Gardening questions/ tips thread

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    So now, over two weeks later, I've had 1 lone pea sprout, about 50% of the beet seeds, just a few carrot seeds, NO collard green, tomato or bell pepper seeds. I'm going to pull out some of the 2016 "Seed Vault" varieties and test them next.
    It has been a few years since I read this, but if I remember correctly the germination rate drops 10-15% per year.

(Bucks County)

Make sure the cap is tight on the worm poo/ bat guano fertilizer before shaking vigorously.

(Chester County)

I've had deer and/or rabbit damage to my beet greens and young green bean plants. I built a chicken wire and PVC cage for my beans which worked, until I removed it 2 days ago and the rabbit(s) hit the green bean plants overnight, so I dusted them with cayenne pepper and no damage last night. I just went down to che k my garden after dinner and the deer tore my zucchini plants a new one. I have never had zucchini damage before, although I've never planted Spineless Beauty Zucchini before.

I'm done with this BS, tomorrow the high and low electric fence will be installed around my veg garden.

(Berks County)

I've had deer and/or rabbit damage to my beet greens and young green bean plants. I built a chicken wire and PVC cage for my beans which worked, until I removed it 2 days ago and the rabbit(s) hit the green bean plants overnight, so I dusted them with cayenne pepper and no damage last night. I just went down to che k my garden after dinner and the deer tore my zucchini plants a new one. I have never had zucchini damage before, although I've never planted Spineless Beauty Zucchini before.

I'm done with this BS, tomorrow the high and low electric fence will be installed around my veg garden.
    It's enough to make ya start shootin'.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

I have 4' high 2"x4" welded wire fencing around our garden with high and low electric wires. The deer will not jump into a small area but will snack on whatever they can reach from outside, so leave a buffer inside the fence where the higher growing crops are. We also maintain the outside of the fenceline with glyphosate. Flame weeding also works, but you have to be careful if you're using fabric or plastic, and you have to lug a propane tank around (I bungee it to a hand truck).
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123