Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Home medical gear & supplies

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Depends on your definition of bleeding. Blood is of course, sterile, or supposed to be. A little oozing isn’t a problem. Active bleeding is. This however, isn’t really my subject of expertise. I for example have no idea when you would need to stitch in a would drain for example, and you can start to go down a road with stitches that is very much not for the untrained person, however competent. A surgeon can sew blood vessels shut. I would say anyone not extensively trained should have to stick to closing wounds, which is really just using a thread to pull separated pieces of skin together so it can grow closed.
    That is the answer I got basically, stapling a wound shut won't stop bleeding and is mainly used (hospital wise) to close wounds that have had all the internal layers sutured up.

So circles back to my question, in a field area, what good is a stapler? I would think that pack/wrap is the way to solve a massive bleed, or a TQ if its arterial. Guess you could celox a deep venous cut and then staple flesh shut for movement purposes?

Guess I got some reading to do.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    What's everybody doing for medical preps?

Since Coronavirus is a respiratory infection, the medical system may be overrun, and my wife is high-risk due to multiple issues caused by muscular dystrophy, I bought a home oxygen concentrator 2 weeks ago on Craigslist for $350. I'm thinking that this, together with her BiPAP, could be a real lifesaver to treat pneumonia. The BiPAP mask already has an oxygen port on it.

My dad is also at risk with multiple medical problems. Today I saw a CL ad for two oxygen concentrators for $175, one working and one not. What the heck, I grabbed those too. The second one powers up but has no flow. I'm thinking the sieve bed is clogged. There are companies that will repour (refill) the sieve bed, the cost from one for this model is $85. If I can fix the 2nd one, I'll try to find someone who can use it.

I need to replace the water bottle that the O2 passes through to humidify it.

My kids have BiPAPs too, since they have mid cases of sleep apnea, but they don't use the BiPAPs. I hear that the breathing cycle of each machine is tailored to the user. So now I need to figure out if one of those would work for my dad, or is it possible to reprogram them?

I also ordered a fingertip battery-powered pulse-ox monitor. And my daughter has a blood pressure cuff.

100 500 mg fish mox won't help with coronavirus victims, but it might save someone else.
    Good call on backup equipment. Do you have backup power for that equipment as well?

I have basic first aid supplies. Israeli bandages, 4x4, tape, gauze, ace bandages, alcohol wipes, first aid cream, gloves.

Called in as many refills on RX meds as I could earlier in the week.

Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, aspirin, benadryl, anti-diarrhea, anti-constipation.

Unless you have a specific health issue stock up on basic first aid and basic OTC medications you take.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Clarion County)

One method of closing small cuts/lacerations is using cyanoacrylate.
    Dermabond is the hospital grade glue while super/crazy glue is readily available to us.
    Many articles on the net about it.
    https://morethanjustsurviving.com/super-glue-for-cuts/
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    One method of closing small cuts/lacerations is using cyanoacrylate.
    Dermabond is the hospital grade glue while super/crazy glue is readily available to us.
    Many articles on the net about it.
    https://morethanjustsurviving.com/super-glue-for-cuts/
    I got smacked in the head with a Jeep caliper. I had it resting on the upper control arm. It was probably about 10 stitch worthy.

I crazy glued it instead of spending a few hours at the ER, and got back to work.

I live in Western Chester County PA. Any idea where I could purchase a new 55 gallon poly drum - food grade.

May need to store some clean water.

(Berks County)

i fortunately picked up 2 medical supply "kits" in early February cause we bought a new camper and i wanted to put one in there. don't wanna have to deal with the hospitals or doctors if i don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
    I live in Western Chester County PA. Any idea where I could purchase a new 55 gallon poly drum - food grade.

May need to store some clean water.
    Can you use cleaned drums that contained hydrogen peroxide in them for drinking water?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
    Can you use cleaned drums that contained hydrogen peroxide in them for drinking water?
    If you are sure it only contained hydrogen peroxide it is totally safe and you will only have to rinse it well with water. Soap is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    If you are sure it only contained hydrogen peroxide it is totally safe and you will only have to rinse it well with water. Soap is not needed.
    Positive. 32% hydrogen peroxide. Picked it up today from an Amish dairy farm they actually poured off the last of the peroxide while I was there. So they could give it to me.

(Montgomery County)

Whats the most afforable blood clotting agent along the lines of celox?
    Any links to bulk deals?
    Rather not have to pack baking powder/flour haha

Also, powder clotting agent, or gauze clotting agents?

Was thinking irragate, dumped powder, pack with gauze on a severe bleed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast