Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Home medical gear & supplies

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Whats the most afforable blood clotting agent along the lines of celox?
    Any links to bulk deals?
    Rather not have to pack baking powder/flour haha

Also, powder clotting agent, or gauze clotting agents?

Was thinking irragate, dumped powder, pack with gauze on a severe bleed.
    All of the evidence I have seen have said gauze impregnated clotting agents, and that is what I personally always go with.

There are 1 or 2 brands, but quiclot makes combat gauze, and they have really been the leader in this arena since the beginning, improving and introducing new products that made their previous ones obsolete.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    All of the evidence I have seen have said gauze impregnated clotting agents, and that is what I personally always go with.

There are 1 or 2 brands, but quiclot makes combat gauze, and they have really been the leader in this arena since the beginning, improving and introducing new products that made their previous ones obsolete.
    Thats the info i was looking for! Thank you!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    What's everybody doing for medical preps?

Since Coronavirus is a respiratory infection, the medical system may be overrun, and my wife is high-risk due to multiple issues caused by muscular dystrophy, I bought a home oxygen concentrator 2 weeks ago on Craigslist for $350. I'm thinking that this, together with her BiPAP, could be a real lifesaver to treat pneumonia. The BiPAP mask already has an oxygen port on it.

My dad is also at risk with multiple medical problems. Today I saw a CL ad for two oxygen concentrators for $175, one working and one not. What the heck, I grabbed those too. The second one powers up but has no flow. I'm thinking the sieve bed is clogged. There are companies that will repour (refill) the sieve bed, the cost from one for this model is $85. If I can fix the 2nd one, I'll try to find someone who can use it.

I need to replace the water bottle that the O2 passes through to humidify it.

My kids have BiPAPs too, since they have mid cases of sleep apnea, but they don't use the BiPAPs. I hear that the breathing cycle of each machine is tailored to the user. So now I need to figure out if one of those would work for my dad, or is it possible to reprogram them?

I also ordered a fingertip battery-powered pulse-ox monitor. And my daughter has a blood pressure cuff.

100 500 mg fish mox won't help with coronavirus victims, but it might save someone else.
    If you plan to use a BiPAP to help ventilate your spouse in possible pneumonia scenario, invest in some type of ETCO2 (end tidal co2)monitoring device. A bilevel machine or BiPAP helps maintain ventilation compared to a CPAP that helps only with hypoxia. A pulse oximetry monitor won’t be able to tell you if she is able to adequately ventilate. She can appear to have perfectly normal blood oxygen saturation and in fact have hypercapnia and eventually lose consciousness. I would also recommend a quality skin barrier for the BiPAP interface as she will need to wear it for long periods of time.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    What's everybody doing for medical preps?

Since Coronavirus is a respiratory infection, the medical system may be overrun, and my wife is high-risk due to multiple issues caused by muscular dystrophy, I bought a home oxygen concentrator 2 weeks ago on Craigslist for $350. I'm thinking that this, together with her BiPAP, could be a real lifesaver to treat pneumonia. The BiPAP mask already has an oxygen port on it.

My dad is also at risk with multiple medical problems. Today I saw a CL ad for two oxygen concentrators for $175, one working and one not. What the heck, I grabbed those too. The second one powers up but has no flow. I'm thinking the sieve bed is clogged. There are companies that will repour (refill) the sieve bed, the cost from one for this model is $85. If I can fix the 2nd one, I'll try to find someone who can use it.

I need to replace the water bottle that the O2 passes through to humidify it.

My kids have BiPAPs too, since they have mid cases of sleep apnea, but they don't use the BiPAPs. I hear that the breathing cycle of each machine is tailored to the user. So now I need to figure out if one of those would work for my dad, or is it possible to reprogram them?

I also ordered a fingertip battery-powered pulse-ox monitor. And my daughter has a blood pressure cuff.

100 500 mg fish mox won't help with coronavirus victims, but it might save someone else.
    Sorry but I think you are fooling yourself that giving oxygen at home will do any good. And being even more cynical, being placed on a mechanical ventilator in the hospital doesn't do much either. To be blunt....if you are sick enough to be placed on a ventilator you are probably going to die. Here is a correspondence from Lancet (a well respected journal) that studied the effectiveness of giving oxygen (non-invasive ventilation) and mechanical ventilation (invasive mechanical ventilation) in Wuhan. The results are not encouraging and to make things worse some doctors are starting to not recommend even giving patients oxygen. It does little good and you spew infections particles all over infecting the healthcare providers.

As of Feb 27, 2020, coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has affected 47 countries and territories around the world. Xiaobo Yang and colleagues described 52 of 710 patients with confirmed COVID-19 admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU) in Wuhan, China. 29 (56%) of 52 patients were given non-invasive ventilation at ICU admission, of whom 22 (76%) required further orotracheal intubation and invasive mechanical ventilation. The ICU mortality rate among those who required non-invasive ventilation was 23 (79%) of 29 and among those who required invasive mechanical ventilation was 19 (86%) of 22.

Jonathan Chun-Hei Cheung and colleagues do not recommend use of a high-flow nasal cannula or non-invasive ventilation until the patient has viral clearance.
    Supporting the recommendation of the authors, I would like to add some points in relation to the use of high-flow nasal oxygen therapy and non-invasive ventilation in patients with COVID-19 infection:

First, although exhaled air dispersion during high-flow nasal oxygen therapy and non-invasive ventilation via different interfaces is restricted, provided that there is a good mask interface fitting, not all hospitals around the world have access to such interfaces or enough personal-protective equipment of sufficiently high quality (ie, considered fit-tested particulate respirators, N95 or equivalent, or higher level of protection) for aerosol-generating procedures, and several hospitals do not have a negative pressure isolation room. Of 1688 health-care workers who have become infected with COVID-19, five (0·3%) have died; a sign of the vastly difficult working conditions for health-care workers.
    Second, the fundamental pathophysiology of severe viral pneumonia is acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).

Non-invasive ventilation is not recommended for patients with viral infections complicated by pneumonia because, although non-invasive ventilation temporarily improves oxygenation and reduces the work of breathing in these patients, this method does not necessarily change the natural disease course.
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...110-7/fulltext
    Last edited by Delkal; March 28th, 2020 at 02:53 PM.

(Chester County)

I didn't peruse this entire thread but here is some useable info. on degration studies of medicines by reputable orgs. Use at your own risk.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/1377417
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...887?via%3Dihub

(Allegheny County)

I have two tanks of Nitrox. Better not fuck with me.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Chatted with my wife about the stapler, and curious what you folks are thinking its usefulness is?
    As already noted staplers are very useful, but not for deep lacerations that would require other internal sutures. You also need a staple remover to make removal a little easier.

Also get some lidocaine cream to use on the skin before you suture/staple.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    I didn't peruse this entire thread but here is some useable info. on degration studies of medicines by reputable orgs. Use at your own risk.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/1377417
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...887?via%3Dihub
    Thanks

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345