Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: PA Sheriffs use COVID as a reason to suspend LTCF processing.

Just picked up my permit from Lancaster Sheriff. Worked out well. As per their website I mailed in application and provided phone and email. Got email notification had received in about 3 days after mailing. I appreciated knowing received. About another three weeks and deputy called me to set up appointment, which I did. Got to courthouse and looked closed with turning doors blocked. But I opened regular door and there were deputies at metal detector. I was only civilian in the place and since had appointment in and out in 5-10 minutes.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    Just picked up my permit from Lancaster Sheriff. Worked out well. As per their website I mailed in application and provided phone and email. Got email notification had received in about 3 days after mailing. I appreciated knowing received. About another three weeks and deputy called me to set up appointment, which I did. Got to courthouse and looked closed with turning doors blocked. But I opened regular door and there were deputies at metal detector. I was only civilian in the place and since had appointment in and out in 5-10 minutes.
    Did you have to send a money order in with the paperwork or did you pay the fee at the Sheriff's office?

(Lancaster County)

Money order with the paperwork. My appt is tomorrow. Wear a mask and you can have your cell phone.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    Money order with the paperwork. My appt is tomorrow. Wear a mask and you can have your cell phone.
    Thanks. I was hoping to avoid going to Turkey Hill to get the money order.

(Lancaster County)

I mailed my renewal with money order to Lancaster county on Saturday 5/9 and got a call on Monday 5/11 to setup an appointment. The appointment is 2 weeks out but I think that is still pretty good service.

(Northampton County)

Has anyone heard anything about further extending the license renewal dates? Mine expires in early June. I called the Northampton County Sheriff's office and spoke to a very nice gentleman who must have been bored, because he really seemed to enjoy the chat! LOL Anyways, he said they aren't processing anything and nobody has heard anything about resumption of processing, extensions, etc. He seemed pretty annoyed with the lack of information from the State.

My apologies if I missed the info in the thread - but the last I had heard it was May 30th for the extension.

Thanks,
    Scott

(Lehigh County)

Exclamation Re: PA Sheriffs use COVID as a reason to suspend LTCF processing.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    interesting..... the sheriff stated that references can't live with the applicant or each other..... is that true statewide???

Just looked at my county website and it did not mention living arrangements...
    Last edited by archie19; May 12th, 2020 at 03:49 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Bucks County)

The application form is a state form. It reads as copied and pasted:

29. TWO REFERENCES – NOT FAMILY MEMBERS

NAME ADDRESS TELEPHONE NO.
    - -
    NAME ADDRESS TELEPHONE NO.
    - -
    APPLICANTS ARE DETERMINED TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS BASED UPON CRITERIA SET FORTH WITHIN THE PENNSYLVANIA UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT (18 PA.C.S.
    CHAPTER 61) § 6105, DEALING WITH INDIVIDUALS NOT TO POSSESS FIREARMS AND § 6109, DEALING WITH THE ISSUANCE OF A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS.

I believe any other requirement rests with the sheriff, and his authority to enhance the commonwealth's requirement is questionable.

The previous sheriff required references reside in the county. I think that was adjusted when challenged.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I believe any other requirement rests with the sheriff, and his authority to enhance the commonwealth's requirement is questionable.
    I don't believe it is a matter of question.

§ 6108 states that the application shall be uniform throughout the state. The form is silent on the residence of the reference(s). If a sheriff adds a requirement to that form, even unwritten, he is in violation of this statute.
    Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.
    § 6120 makes it pretty clear that local officials cannot "enhance" state firearms regulations
    General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast