Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: PA Sheriffs use COVID as a reason to suspend LTCF processing.

Pa has a requirement of photo taken by some digital deal that goes in file. Well when dealing with renewals the Sheriff has a picture of you in the file that is five years old. I say use that picture again for an additional five years and get new photo next renewal. I see no chance of someone "gaming" the system as the Sheriff earlier assured it was you who was issued permit and the Sheriff would send your renewal to address on file. Naturally run a new PICS check. Easy and all renewal process can be done by mail.

Now I agree new permit applicants do not have picture on file and may have to appear to assure they are who they say they are. But no reason not to move on renewals now. I mean only security compromise is slightly old photo that will be update next renewal.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    Pa has a requirement of photo taken by some digital deal that goes in file. Well when dealing with renewals the Sheriff has a picture of you in the file that is five years old. I say use that picture again for an additional five years and get new photo next renewal. I see no chance of someone "gaming" the system as the Sheriff earlier assured it was you who was issued permit and the Sheriff would send your renewal to address on file. Naturally run a new PICS check. Easy and all renewal process can be done by mail.

Now I agree new permit applicants do not have picture on file and may have to appear to assure they are who they say they are. But no reason not to move on renewals now. I mean only security compromise is slightly old photo that will be update next renewal.
    Why not use driver's license photo? They already are compiling a registry.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Good point. Really don't need for renewal of permit as already have photo. But good option for new issue permits.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Everyone doesn't have a PA Drivers License. Also I am pretty sure the vendors are different between the DL and the LTCF.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post

With what you project, at some point your photo is going to be approaching a decade old. Considerable differences are likely.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Everyone doesn't have a PA Drivers License. Also I am pretty sure the vendors are different between the DL and the LTCF.
    Ah, the infamous venders excuse.

This isn’t a CAD system, or a multi-banded, truncated 800 megahertz radio system trying to relay to a 100 hertz radio system, man.

It is a photo. It stored in one of a handful of image formats, all of which are easily edited into another image format. I suspect you’re right that it is different vendors, but it isn’t really a problem at all. Just an excuse government employees would use instead of doing their jobs and making the system work.

As to the photo requirement, you’re right, and I completely agree with you that it is discriminatory, unconstitutional, and should be ignored.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    With what you project, at some point your photo is going to be approaching a decade old. Considerable differences are likely.
    If that is truly a problem and I really don't accept that fact, then issue a two year renewal. Or is an extra two years on the photo too long, when some States do not even have a photo on their licenses. Big point to me is that with last issuing of license they verified who you are and your address. And by mail renewal would be sent to address on license.

(Franklin County)

Why not allow folks to submit their OWN photo digitally. This is how Utah does it. I believe you also submit a photo of either your valid home-state LTCF/CCW or your state DL/ID. This ensures that the "photo only" matches the identity of the actual person being licensed.

This isn't difficult, and it doesn't require ANY new equipment. All it takes is the willingness to make the change. Of course, rarely is 'the man' interested in making things simple for the general populace if it's inconvenient or more work for them.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Ah, the infamous venders excuse.

This isn’t a CAD system, or a multi-banded, truncated 800 megahertz radio system trying to relay to a 100 hertz radio system, man.

It is a photo. It stored in one of a handful of image formats, all of which are easily edited into another image format. I suspect you’re right that it is different vendors, but it isn’t really a problem at all. Just an excuse government employees would use instead of doing their jobs and making the system work.

As to the photo requirement, you’re right, and I completely agree with you that it is discriminatory, unconstitutional, and should be ignored.
    So would you be okay with your LTCF photo being used in another platform, since its just a photo, you know.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Why not allow folks to submit their OWN photo digitally. This is how Utah does it. I believe you also submit a photo of either your valid home-state LTCF/CCW or your state DL/ID. This ensures that the "photo only" matches the identity of the actual person being licensed.

This isn't difficult, and it doesn't require ANY new equipment. All it takes is the willingness to make the change. Of course, rarely is 'the man' interested in making things simple for the general populace if it's inconvenient or more work for them.
    Ironically that is how Philadelphia does it. You have to provide your own Passport Style Photo. It is most likely done this way to avoid maintaining the photography equipment though.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast