Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Nikon

(Philadelphia County)

Angry Nikon

Good ol' nikon, maybe not anymore. I purchased a rifle scope 3 years ago from them, it was a buckmaster 2 3-9x40, and i swore after taxes and shipping was 280. Now it could of been a 230 and i was at 250 shipped, can't remember, but i feel like it was the former. The rifle is kept in a padded case, and this past year was only pulled out to verify zero the week before hunting. Shot fine, but the groups were a little looser then normal, not enough to warrant any concern chalked it up to a lack of range time. The following saturday I arrived in Tioga 4.5 hr's from philadelphia, and head for the field around 1pm. Find a spot, go to change magnification, and instead of "zooming in" the entire reticle spun to form an X hair. I was able to spin the reticle back to what i believed was straight and hunted the week. Bagged a deer, shot was very off from POA and i lost half my tenderloins.

The optic had come with a certificate of a "full lifetime" warranty stating the scope would be replaced or repaired. I sent the optic back, and was able to get a vague idea of where it was at in nikon with their online site. Their shopped deemed it would not hold a zero (hearing that is becoming very common with nikon these days) and needed to be repaired. A month later (yesterday) I received an email from Nikon this is what it read:

Response from Jessica W.
    Order Number: 7142XXX
    Dear Brian,
    We are writing in regard to your BUCKMASTERS II 3-9x40 Matte BDC that you have submitted to Nikon for service under NikonĀ’s limited warranty. After evaluation, we have determined that your product is beyond economic repair, and we no longer sell this model or a comparable product. Therefore, we will replace your product under the warranty by providing you with this Nikon Store voucher in the amount of $129.95, good towards the purchase of any Nikon Sport Optics product sold by NikonĀ’s online store at www.nikonsportoptics.com. Your voucher code # is XXXXX. To redeem this voucher, please go to www.nikonsportoptics.com and enter the code at checkout. This voucher can be used one time only, and any unused amounts will be forfeited if not used at the first voucher application. Please understand that if this voucher is not used by 2/5/2021, it will expire and be forfeited. This Nikon Store voucher has no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our customer service department at 1-800-645-6687. We appreciate your support of Nikon Sport Optics products, and hope that the product(s) you choose will provide years of continued enjoyment.

I will say i feel perturbed about the sharp lost of value in the optic, and the fact there are comparable models they could send (p3 hunter cough cough). The icing on the cake is I choose to just use the voucher on a cheap scope and buy a vortex for my hunting rifle, but their website has no optics. Everything is out of stock. How? You make the optics, how are you out? See the voucher is only good through their site so it's pretty much worthless along with their "full lifetime" warranty (jessica told me it was limited but my certificate says different). I sent a polite email back expressing my feelings on the matter, however in the end I think I am going to end up with $130 of lenspens and buying a vortex for a few hundred.

I had seen on another forum they have changed their warranty program in 2018 or 2019. Well this was my experience and rant, hopefully this can help someone else in their decision.
    Last edited by bml215; February 6th, 2020 at 10:19 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Nikon

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ni...cope-business/ Nikon is exiting the rifle scope business.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the article. I had the suspicion something like that was happening when everything was out of stock.

(Clarion County)

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Somerset County)

Do you remember where you bought it? I bought the same scope about 3-4 years ago for my boys ruger american and got it on sale for $90. Normal price was $129.99

Are you sure you paid that much? I dont ever remember them selling for that high

(Butler County)

ive bought a few that were $99

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Everready73 View Post
    Do you remember where you bought it? I bought the same scope about 3-4 years ago for my boys ruger american and got it on sale for $90. Normal price was $129.99

Are you sure you paid that much? I dont ever remember them selling for that high
    2015 my BSA had failed and for Christmas that year my father gave me a Dick's gift card to soften the blow of a new scope. I purchased the Nikon from Dick's online store Jan of 2016. Installed Aug of 2016 for that year's hunting season, never made it due to change in employers. I could be off, but I strongly believe it was in the $200's. I remember wanting to move up in price point because of the previous failure, and having the gift card to foot $60 of the bill.

Wanted to also give an update, Jessica W. and I emailed back and forth a bit about the price. It had sounded like she was going to bump the price up to $220 and asked for my shipping address. Kimberly M. took over randomly to inform me they were cutting a check instead of a Nikon store voucher. Check came today for $129.95, at least I can use that towards a Vortex instead of 12 lenspens lol.

(Chester County)

The scope may have sold for $200+ at one time but without a receipt companies have to go with the last sale price so that's usually low. They assume you bought on sale unless you can prove otherwise.
    Hoplophobia is funny

Its sad, Nikon at one time made some sweet scopes. I bought a 30/30 with an old nikon from the 60's on it, thats old japanese ground glass, Sharp as the day it was bought.
    Correction, its an American made Bausch and Lomb Elite 3000 3-9X40 mm from the 70s.Sweet and sharp well made glass
    Last edited by bigandy1966; April 26th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.