Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mossberg 500 20 gauge pump and snap caps

Hello all,

I recently acquired a new Mossberg 500 Persuader/Cruiser pump-action 20 gauge shotgun. I have never used a shotgun before. I also purchased some snap-caps in 20 gauge to practice with until I get to a class.

Problem - I have found that loading 2 snap caps from the feeder works fine. But if I put three or four in there the gun double-feeds and the snap caps jam. When I look at the caps I can see they are all scratched up at the bottom as well. Is this b/c you cannot load snap caps like real shells from the feeder tube? Or does this indicate a problem? I don't want to have a problem with live ammo.

Thanks for any suggestions.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mossberg 500 20 gauge pump and snap caps

Do you have the short caps, or the full length ones? Sometimes the short ones won't cycle properly. Seems most companies only make them short for safety reasons.
    Your magazine tube should also have a restrictor block(wooden dowel) in it to limit the number of shells that can be loaded. Whether or not this will make a difference in feeding, I don't know.
    If you want to practice cycling, just stick with the 2 caps for now, and maybe save a few of your empty hulls after your class or range trip, and make your own dummies. If you make some dummies out of empties, store them separetly from your live ammo, and MARK THEM CLEARLY!!!!!!

Default Re: Mossberg 500 20 gauge pump and snap caps

Good call. The caps are about 1/4" shorter than the regular ammo. Probably that's it. I'll try using some empties and paint them flourescent orange or something to be safe. Thanks for the reply!