Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Leo running serial on CCW for allegedly rolling through a stop sign.

I just had this happen to me. I was allegedly did a rolling stop. Was very polite when pulled over. Told the cop I had my CCW on me and have a licence. He says that's fine just dont reach for it. I give him all my information. He goes to his car and says he now needs to detain it while he does paper work. He removed it in the holster from my belt. Took it out of the holster ran the gun asked me various questions about it. Where I bought it and it wasn't showing up in the system and if the registration was in my name. What does any of this have to do with a stop sign? Why was the gun even removed? I was there about 1 1/2 on my motorcycle. It's a Harley. He came back gave me a ticket and 3 points! I've never had one charge, not one ticket in my life! Plus why was my stop time increased by 3x because he could search my pistol? Sorry I seen some much older post just wondering if any recent laws or information has been obtained.

Default Re: Leo running serial on CCW for allegedly rolling through a stop sign.

In PA you have no duty to inform an officer if your legally carrying, in the future exercise that right.

I can’t answer on anything else that was done but it all sounds wrong to me.

Sorry about the ticket.

Default Re: Leo running serial on CCW for allegedly rolling through a stop sign.

Never tell a cop you are carrying unless he is a fed and asks.

(Chester County)

C'mon the officer just wanted to know if the op's gun was properly registered. It is now if it wasn't before.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Indiana County)

Without a warrant or probable cause, the officer conducted a search. An illegal search. File a complaint with his police department.

(Bucks County)

It’s not illegal if you let him. If you do not tell him you do not consent, you do consent. Object vocally next time. And yes, that cop sucks ass! Most do, and they cannot understand why we don’t cry a river every time one gets to feeling guilty and paints a wall with his brain.
    I feel bad for the one in Philthy that got killed today doing his job, but not enough to support his family forever. He likely wouldn’t have done anything for my family if I got killed at work.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    It’s not illegal if you let him. If you do not tell him you do not consent, you do consent. Object vocally next time. And yes, that cop sucks ass! Most do, and they cannot understand why we don’t cry a river every time one gets to feeling guilty and paints a wall with his brain.
    I feel bad for the one in Philthy that got killed today doing his job, but not enough to support his family forever. He likely wouldn’t have done anything for my family if I got killed at work.

No. Op was illegally detained longer then necessary for the purposes of the stop: he was not given a choice. His property was illegally searched. He was illegally detainees. His property was illegally seized. Cop likely endangered OP’s life by handling a weapon he was most likely unfamiliar with & almost certainly not certified on. Cop showed he clearly does not know the laws of the commonwealth or say educated on case law as Pennsylvania does not have a registry, as a registry is illegal. A fact pointed out clearly in the law and by a Pennsylvania Supreme Court case, were the courts made it clear that since every firearm is not accounted for, it isn’t a registry.

OP, as already pointed out: don’t talk to cops. Get a lawyer. File a complaint, seriously consider a civil rights lawsuit. Given the significant amount of training LEOs have had to do in regards to Pennsylvania firearms law, I’d have your lawyer question his ability to know traffic laws at all. I’m not a Leo, but I don’t remember any MOPTEC training about stop signs.

Honestly the cop is obviously a slow learner, or has ethics problems. I think the OPs lawsuit should be just for court costs, and seek required retraining of the entire department. Complete retraining, an entire certification course from an accredited university: no community colleges. Maybe toss in a complete fire police certifications and constable to make sure all sworn law enforcement officers are covered to ensure the department is well rounded and less likely to violate the law in the future.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; March 14th, 2020 at 12:51 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

I would strongly urge you to contact Philip G. Kline, Jousha Prince, or Kym Best.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

I dont blame op for telling the officer he had a gun, on a bike, wallet in right rear pocket and gun at 5oclock can be asking for trouble

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    I dont blame op for telling the officer he had a gun, on a bike, wallet in right rear pocket and gun at 5oclock can be asking for trouble
    Well, some forethought in this situation would help. If riding while carrying, keep your "papers" in your front jacket breast pocket.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast