Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saiga rifles

(Philadelphia County)

Default Saiga rifles

Anybody have experience with these? I'm thinking of a .308 w/ 16" barrel. Are they really just a standard AK build with a hunting rifle frame? How's the accuracy? Also, any experience with the modified 25-round mags? Is there a noticeable difference in performance between those and the standard 8-round mags?
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Saiga rifles

I picked up a 7.63 version a while ago. here is a sight that explains how to convert the mag and the rifle.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Saiga 7.62x39, and I love it. It's a real pleasure to shoot.

It's made by Izhmash, the official maker of Russkie AKs (closer to an AK 103 than an AK 47), and the action is basically a standard AK action. The receiver is stamped, not milled. A couple of differences with an AK are the way the barrel attaches, and the fire control group is moved back a bit to put it in reach of the sporter stock. It also lacks a feed ramp, instead using a non-standard magazine. You can install a feed ramp and modify the receiver to take standard AK mags pretty easily.

You can convert your Saiga into a (nearly) standard AK, and that's a popular hobby out there. There's a whole forum mostly devoted to that. The main difference will still be the barrel attachment, which will require you to get custom front furniture. Most parts are interchangeable with AKs.

Accuracy has been estimated between 2 MOA if you're lucky, out to about 4 MOA pretty reliably. They're pretty well-built, but like all AK pattern rifles they weren't built for competition. The rear site is in front of the action, making for a narrow site radius, and has a notch rather than a peep.

Over all, a pretty sweet rifle for what it is. The tradeoff is that mine cost me about $600, shipped from Russia, and for that I could have gotten another M1 from the CMP...

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post

It's made by Izhmash, the official maker of Russkie AKs (closer to an AK 103 than an AK 47), and the action is basically a standard AK action. The receiver is stamped, not milled. A couple of differences with an AK are the way the barrel attaches, and the fire control group is moved back a bit to put it in reach of the sporter stock. It also lacks a feed ramp, instead using a non-standard magazine. You can install a feed ramp and modify the receiver to take standard AK mags pretty easily.

You can convert your Saiga into a (nearly) standard AK, and that's a popular hobby out there. There's a whole forum mostly devoted to that. The main difference will still be the barrel attachment, which will require you to get custom front furniture. Most parts are interchangeable with AKs.

Accuracy has been estimated between 2 MOA if you're lucky, out to about 4 MOA pretty reliably. They're pretty well-built, but like all AK pattern rifles they weren't built for competition. The rear site is in front of the action, making for a narrow site radius, and has a notch rather than a peep.

Over all, a pretty sweet rifle for what it is. The tradeoff is that mine cost me about $600, shipped from Russia, and for that I could have gotten another M1 from the CMP...
    Did you rework yours?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post

Last year I picked up a Saiga 7.62x39, and it fired standard AK mags right out of the box... am I missing something?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    Last year I picked up a Saiga 7.62x39, and it fired standard AK mags right out of the box... am I missing something?
    It must have been modified, before you got it.

(Allegheny County)

Yea...
    I have been looking at getting a Saiga in 7.62x39 for a lil bit now..A local shop has one with the dragonove (sp?) stock...
    I think I could live with the way it looks...they also had the Saiga regular cap. magazines (30 rounders instead of that stupid 10)
    My hesitation is that I have never shot one. I also don't know how they hold up to time...
    Any words of wisdom from the folks that have them...are they as reliable as say the WASR 10's are...
    -A
    They kind of seem like the ugly little brother of the semi auto AK variants...
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Did you rework yours?
    Nope. I have all the parts, but after I took it shooting, I couldn't bear to mutilate it. It grew on me.

(Berks County)

I have two Saigas, both .308s. One is the 16" barrel with a red dot scope on top, the other is the Version 21 with a 22" barrel and a thumbhole stock. I added a Dragunov scope and a Harris bipod to it. No conversion necessary on the Ver. 21, as it already has the parts in the right place. The 16" is converted with a Tapco stock and FCG and a Surefire 25 round magazine. Both are incredibly accurate, and awesome shooters.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Yea...
    I have been looking at getting a Saiga in 7.62x39 for a lil bit now..A local shop has one with the dragonove (sp?) stock...
    I think I could live with the way it looks...they also had the Saiga regular cap. magazines (30 rounders instead of that stupid 10)
    My hesitation is that I have never shot one. I also don't know how they hold up to time...
    Any words of wisdom from the folks that have them...are they as reliable as say the WASR 10's are...
    -A
    They kind of seem like the ugly little brother of the semi auto AK variants...
    I can't see them being any less reliable than the WASR AK's. But every gun is different.

Personally the seamless front end on the Saiga's looks good to me. Yeah, if you wanted to add anything to the front end of it you are going to have some trouble compared to a more standard AK. But I think it makes it look sleek. The stock, and trigger group can be moved back to the standard placement. So I see no real need to count them as a lesser weapon. In fact the build quality out of the box is probably higher than just about any that are being slapped together from parts kits.

Except maybe the guns being built by the higher end shops, who take the time to make everything right-er than it was to begin with.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast